Will dogs eat mothballs?

In this brief discussion, we’ll answer the question, “Will dogs eat mothballs?” We will also discuss if mothballs are toxic to dogs and what to do if dogs eat mothballs.

Will dogs eat mothballs?

Yes, dogs will eat mothballs. It is natural instinct of dogs to chew or eat everything in sight and mothballs are no exception. However, dogs should not eat or lick mothballs because they contain chemicals that can highly damage your dog’s health.

Therefore, you should take appropriate measures to prevent your dog from eating mothballs and ensure its safety.

Are mothballs toxic for dogs?

Yes, mothballs are very toxic and lethal for dogs. `Mothballs break down gradually in your dog’s stomach, delaying poisoning for a few days. 

However, if one of the mothballs is missing, it is advisable to assume the worst and take your dog to the veterinarian before any of these symptoms appear.

The following discomforts could occur in your dog if he or she ate a paradichlorobenzene mothball:

  • Moth-scented breath
  • Weakness or lethargy
  • Laboured breathing
  • Vomiting
  • Pale or brown gums
  • Burning sensation on the skin
  • Irritation of the eyes and nose

The following signs could appear in your dog if he or she ate a naphthalene mothball:

  • Nausea
  • Vomiting
  • Lethargy
  • Irritation
  • Tremors
  • Seizures
  • Anaemia and potential blood vomiting
  • Dark-coloured mucous membranes

When things go terribly wrong, some dogs can experience damage to their kidneys or liver, particularly if they already had a preexisting medical condition.

How many mothballs are toxic to dogs?

One mothball is all it takes to poison a dog. The toxic dose varies depending on the size of your pet, the mothball’s size, and type, and whether the creature consumed the mothball or was just exposed to its fumes.

No matter how many mothballs your dog eats, take it to the vet immediately so that you can prevent your dog from developing serious health issues.

What to do if my dog eats mothballs?

Take your dog to the vet immediately if you know or even suspect that he may have ingested a mothball. By obtaining treatment earlier, you can increase your pet’s chances of receiving better care.

Unless your veterinarian has specifically instructed you to do so, never make your dog vomit or give him any oral medications. Your veterinarian will administer treatment based on the symptoms your pet has shown. The person could:

  • Perform blood tests to find out if your pet has anaemia or liver or kidney damage.
  • Give IV fluids to maintain and safeguard the kidneys. As soon as your dog’s blood counts, and liver, and kidney functions start to normalise, keep an eye on them.
  • Take x-rays that might reveal where the mothballs are located.
  • Worst case scenario, give a blood transfusion.
  • Dispense nausea- and seizure-reducing medications.

Wait for additional instructions once your pet has received the appropriate diagnosis and treatment from the veterinarian. 

Try giving your dog little sips of water to rehydrate him and keep him as comfortable as you can, if your veterinarian permits it. The majority of illnesses and diseases take longer to kill from dehydration.

Last but not least, keep your cool. We must avoid adding needless stress to what our dogs are already experiencing. 

Even while ingesting mothballs can be fairly nasty, our pets don’t necessarily have to go to heaven for it. Keep in mind that early detection is always preferable.

Is mothball poisoning treatable in any way?

The toxicity caused by mothballs has no cure. However, the majority of canines survive this kind of poisoning when prompt decontamination and supportive care are offered.

The outcome depends on a number of variables, including the pet’s beginning health, the amount consumed, and the period of time till therapy. 

Pets are less likely to experience long-term problems with early treatment. Some animals could have irreversible liver or kidney damage. Death can happen with excessive doses or when treatment is put off, however it is rare.

How can I prevent mothball poisoning in dogs?

Always keep mothballs out of the reach of kids and animals. Mothballs should only be kept in sealed, airtight containers to avoid inadvertent pet consumption. Never use loose mothballs to deter pests in your house, yard, or garden, and always read the label carefully. 

Never combine several mothball varieties or mothballs with other pesticides or chemicals. If you have pets, there are a number of safer nonchemical alternatives to mothballs for reducing insect damage to fabrics.

If your dog ingests mothballs, call your veterinarian or an emergency clinic right away to arrange for rapid veterinary care for your pet. Your pet has the best chance of recovering when treated as soon as possible, just like with any poisoning.

Conclusion:

We answered the question, “will dogs eat mothballs?” We also discussed if mothballs are toxic to dogs and what to do if dogs eat mothballs.

References:

https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-pet/mothball-toxicity-in-dogs#:~:text=Poisoning%20most%20commonly%20occurs%20when,can%20harm%20pets%20and%20people.

https://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/toxicity/mothball-toxicity-pets-what-you-need-know

http://lovemygermanshepherd.com/will-dogs-eat-mothballs-and-will-it-harm-them/

What was missing from this post which could have made it better?

Leave a Comment