Why am I losing weight but not belly fat?
In this brief article, we will answer the question, “Why am I losing weight but not belly fat?” and provide information on whether smoking delays weight loss as well as other factors that can delay weight loss.
Why am I losing weight but not belly fat?
You are losing weight but not belly fat because you might be consuming too many refined carbs. Consumption of excessive refined carbs can cause the stomach to expand. Make sure to consume less unhealthy fats if you wish to lose belly fat.
Healthier fats can be obtained from nuts, fish, seeds, and seed oils. Oils that are high in monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fatty acids can also be consumed. This includes mustard oil, groundnut oil, canola oil, and virgin olive oil.
Controlling portion sizes of food is also important. If you consume too much of unhealthy foods, it can increase the levels of visceral fat.
Visceral fat increases the risk of developing metabolic diseases. Consuming too much of unhealthy foods can contribute to abdominal fat
Can smoking delay weight loss?
Yes, smoking can delay weight loss. Excess smoking can increase abdominal and visceral fat loss. It can increase the levels of bad cholesterol which can further contribute to Obesity.
What other factors can delay weight loss?
Other factors that can delay weight loss are given below:
- Stress can cause an increase in abdominal fat. This is because stress can result in the release of cortisol which can cause weight gain. It is important to indulge in exercise or do yoga to handle stress. A strong support group can also help.
- It is not easy to lose belly fat without exercise. For men, the waist circumference should not be higher than 40 inches. For women, it should not be higher than 35 inches. It is important to indulge in physical activity for at least 150 minutes a week.
Brisk walking for 15 minutes can aid in losing weight. Indulging in strength training for 75 minutes a week can be beneficial.
- Sometimes, exercising is not enough. Indulging in the wrong exercises would not help in losing belly fat. Instead, proper weight training is important to build muscles. Aerobic exercises like walking or running can help too.
Make sure to indulge in low-intensity exercises and then slowly increase the intensity of the exercises. This can aid in losing belly fat.
- If you consume too much beer or alcoholic drinks, you would retain belly fat. All alcoholic drinks contain calories. However, binge drinking can make it difficult to lose weight.
Apart from this, many individuals love to consume fried foods along with alcoholic drinks. This can cause weight gain too. It is better to drink in moderation. You can consume steamed foods along with alcoholic drinks.
- Consuming too many sports drinks can also cause an increase in belly fat. This is because sports drinks contain a lot of calories. As a result, reduce consumption of such sugary drinks or high-calorie beverages.
It is better to avoid consuming readymade fruit juices too as they can contain high amounts of sugar. Canned foods contain high levels of sugar added in the form of a preservative.
- Consuming enough water is important to lose belly fat. Avoid consuming flavored water or water with added sugar. Instead, drink plain water.
Water can promote satiety and prevent you from overeating. As a result, replace those diet sodas or sugary drinks with plain water. You can also consume soups or broths instead of plain water too.
- Genetics can be another factor that influences weight loss. Individuals who have the obesogen gene can find it difficult to lose weight.
Obesogens can cause increased fat formation in your body. Besides, there can be increased storage of fat if you have higher levels of Obesogens. However, with enough exercise and diet, you can lose weight.
- If you are unable to lose belly fat, it could be because you are not sleeping well. For better sleep quality, switch off your phones and other electronic devices before going to sleep.
Do not consume alcohol, coffee, or other caffeine-based drinks before going to bed. Make sure to have a sleep schedule and follow the same schedule every night.
- Stop measuring your weight constantly. Sometimes, you might be losing weight but because you check yourself often, you might not realize that you are losing weight.
You can measure your waist circumference after 2 weeks or check whether your clothes fit you. If your clothes seem to be loose, it indicates you have lost a significant amount of weight.
In this brief article, we have answered the question, “Why am I losing weight but not belly fat?” and provided information on whether smoking delays weight loss as well as other factors that can delay weight loss.