In this brief article, we will answer the question, “Which foods are higher in Vitamin D?” and provide information on other sources of vitamin D, some vitamin D enriched foods, whether vitamin D can aid in calcium absorption as well as the daily requirement of vitamin D.
Which foods are higher in Vitamin D?
Foods higher in vitamin D are salmon, herring, sardines, and cod liver oil. Salmon is a fatty fish and is a good source of vitamin D. According to the USDA, 100 grams of salmon can give 526 IU of vitamin D.
Whether salmon is wild or farmed can also make a difference in vitamin D levels. Wild salmon have more vitamin D than farmed ones.
Herring and sardines are also good sources of vitamin D. A serving of Atlantic herring can give 214 IU.
A serving of pickled herring can give 113 IU of vitamin D. However, pickled herring is rich in sodium. As a result, it is not recommended to consume them if you suffer from hypertension.
A serving of canned sardines can meet 24 percent of vitamin D. There are many other fishes that are good sources of vitamin D. Halibut and mackerel are good examples.
Cod liver oil can be incorporated into your diet if you do not like to eat fish. Each teaspoon of cod liver oil can give 450 IU of vitamin D. Cod liver oil is also rich in vitamin A. One teaspoon of cod liver oil can provide 1350 mcg.
Cod liver oil is also high in Omega-3 fatty acids. You can incorporate them into your diet by adding them to salads as a salad dressing.
What are other vitamin D sources?
Other sources of vitamin D are given below:
- Canned tuna gives around 269 IU of vitamin D. However, canned tuna has to be eaten in moderation. This is because there are high mercury levels in canned tuna. Light canned tuna is low in mercury whereas white canned tuna has higher levels.
- Egg yolks are another source of vitamin D. Protein can be present in fats, minerals, and vitamins of egg yolk. A yolk of a big egg can give 37 IU of vitamin D.
However, vitamin D levels in eggs are affected by certain factors. If the chicken was exposed for a long time to sunlight, it can have higher vitamin D levels. Chickens raised in closed areas will not have much vitamin D.
The feeds of chicken are another factor. If the feeds contain good levels of vitamin D, the eggs are likely to contain vitamin D too. If chickens were given vitamin D-enriched feed, the levels of vitamin D in eggs could significantly rise.
- Mushrooms are another source of vitamin D. However, for this purpose, mushrooms need to be exposed to sunlight. Wild mushrooms are exposed to sunlight and as a result, it has significant vitamin D levels.
Commercially grown mushrooms do not have much vitamin D. To tackle this issue, some commercial mushrooms are exposed to UV light.
What are some vitamin D-enriched foods?
- Cow’s milk contains many nutrients including riboflavin, magnesium, and calcium. It is fortified with vitamin D. This can help in increasing calcium absorption.
- Some soy milk brands contain vitamin D. As vitamin D is prominently found in non-vegetarian foods, it can be difficult for vegetarians to obtain vitamin D. Fortification of plant milk or plant-based foods with vitamin D can help in meeting its requirement.
- Certain orange juices can be fortified with vitamin D. This can be especially beneficial for individuals who are lactose intolerant or vegans. One cup of fortified juice can give approximately 100 IU of vitamin D.
- Cereals or oatmeal can be fortified with vitamin D too. You can check the nutrition label to know whether vitamin D has been added to cereals. If vitamin D has not been added, you can avoid buying the product.
Does vitamin D aid in calcium absorption?
Yes, vitamin D can improve calcium absorption. It helps in improving skeletal muscle structure and strengthens bones too. Vitamin D and calcium can protect against osteoporosis.
What is the daily requirement of vitamin D?
The daily requirement of vitamin D can change depending on an individual’s age. Individuals aged 1-70 years require 600 IU of vitamin D per day.
Adults over 70 years of age can require 800 IU of vitamin D. Maternal nutrition is important so that babies below 1 year obtain vitamin D.
In this brief article, we have answered the question, “Which foods are higher in Vitamin D?” and provided information on other sources of vitamin D, some vitamin D enriched foods, whether vitamin D can aid in calcium absorption as well as the daily requirement of vitamin D.