In this brief article, we will answer the question, “When can you eat during Ramadan?”, and provide information on the significance of fasting, what is suhur, who is forbidden from fasting, and whether smaller meals are consumed for breaking the fast.
When can you eat during Ramadan?
You can eat after sundown during Ramadan. This meal consumed to break the fast is called iftar. Usually, the fast is broken with a combination of milk and dates. Then, the dinner would be consumed.
Snacks can be consumed at night between iftar and dinner as well. A good amount of hydration is also important.
What is the significance of fasting?
Fasting is done during the month of Ramadan. It comes in the ninth month of the Islamic calendar. Fasting is done from sunrise to sunset. Individuals are not supposed to consume anything or even drink water during fasting.
Fasting is done to help introspect one’s actions and be closer to God. It also helps in becoming more charitable and generous. It strengthens ties towards one’s own community as all the family members and relatives get together in Ramadan.
What is suhur?
Suhur is the meal that is consumed before fasting in Ramadan. Suhur can be similar to breakfast but the foods consumed for suhur can be similar to dinner foods. Usually, high-fiber meals are consumed during suhur.
When foods high in fiber are consumed, it would help in keeping the person full for a longer time. It can also help in keeping them energetic as the fiber would raise blood sugar levels.
Some of the high-fiber foods that can be consumed would include whole grains, whole pulses, fruits, and veggies. Make sure to regulate the consumption of fried foods.
Who is forbidden from fasting?
Individuals who are physically or mentally ill are forbidden from fasting. Women who are pregnant or lactating should not fast either. Girls or women who are on their periods need not fast either.
Children are exempt from fasting along with individuals who are traveling extensively and can choose not to fast. Even elderly people need not keep fast as their immune systems are not well-developed.
Should a smaller meal be consumed to break the fast?
It is recommended to consume a smaller meal to break the fast. This is because immediately consuming a large meal after fasting for several hours can cause issues.
Besides, a lot of movement is involved in Muslim prayers. Indulging in a large meal and then bending or prostrating to pray can be difficult.
What meals can be consumed during iftar?
Usually, dates with water or yogurt are consumed to break the fast. After that is done, prayers (one of the five prayers done during the day) are conducted. After the prayers, a heavy meal can be consumed.
The heavy meal can include salads, soups, side dishes, and main meals. Traditional foods can be consumed during this occasion. These traditional dishes can vary depending on the country.
What are some iftar meal ideas?
- Stuffed dates can be a good idea to break the fast. You can stuff them with dry fruits to further amp the fiber and nutrition quotient.
- Chana chaat is an Indian street food snack that can be used for breakfast too. Chana chaat is referred to as a chickpea salad. The chickpea salad can be seasoned with sweetened yogurt, tamarind dip, spices, and mint sauce.
Another item that can be further added to the chaat would include Sev. Sev consists of crunchy noodles that can be prepared using chickpea flour paste.
It can be seasoned with turmeric, ajwain, and cayenne. It would then be deep-fried.
- Shami kabab can be another dish that could be popularly consumed. The patty consists of beef, mutton, or lamb.
Other ingredients that can be used would include ground chickpeas, spices, and eggs.
- Chapali kabab is another dish that is served in Afghanistan. It can be served with coriander salad.
- Karachi bun kebab is a spicy burger that can be consumed during iftar. It is a vegan burger that can be consumed.
- Chicken pilau can be a yummy dish that can be consumed after long fasting hours.
- Milkshakes can be consumed after the meal for satiety too. Lassi, smoothies, or date shakes can be consumed.
In this brief article, we have answered the question, “When can you eat during Ramadan?”, and provided information on the significance of fasting, what is suhur, who is forbidden from fasting, and whether smaller meals are consumed for breaking the fast.