In this brief blog, we will answer the question, “What to eat the day before a blood test?” We will look into related topics such as some common blood fasting tests. We will as well look into the uses of having a blood test done. We will discuss if it’s okay to drink black coffee and also if it’s okay to take medications before a fasting blood test.
What to eat the day before a blood test?
This is dependent on the type of blood test you will be having. It is common for some blood tests to continue eating and drinking as is routine. However, if you have been scheduled for a “fasting blood test” you will be instructed to not eat or drink anything other than water for 8 to 10 hours before the test.
What are some common blood fasting tests?
Some examples of blood tests that require that a person fasts for 8-10 hrs before are:
- A fasting blood glucose test. This is a common and quick blood test that is normally used to diagnose prediabetes, diabetes and gestational diabetes.
- An iron blood test is essential for checking the amount of iron that is present in the blood and how well it is metabolized. It is a good test for diagnosing conditions such as Anemia ( iron deficiency). You may be required to fast 12 hours before this test.
- Cholesterol test: It is also known as lipid panel or lipid profile and is a blood test to check for the amount of cholesterol and triglycerides
- Liver function test: This blood test is used to check the health of the liver and is done by checking the liver enzymes, proteins and bilirubin.
- Renal function panel: This is a blood test that is used to measure kidney function and can be useful in the detecting, diagnosing, and monitoring of kidney problems.
What are the uses of taking a blood test?
Blood tests are easy and are a very a great way to be able to understand some status such as:
- Assessing the general state of your health
- Check the body for the presence of infections
- Check the functioning of different organs in the body such as the liver and kidneys
- Screen the body for certain genetic conditions
Is it okay to drink black coffee when fasting for a blood test?
No, you should not drink coffee. You are only permitted to drink water before a fasting blood test. Coffee contains caffeine which is diuretic as it removes water from the body. The notion that coffee adds up to your fluid requirements is wrong.
Coffee will make you urinate more and this can ultimately have an effect on your blood lab results so just wait until the blood tests are over and you can grab your cup of coffee.
Is it okay to take medication before a fasting blood test?
Yes, you can take over-the-counter meds as well as other prescription medications unless you have been advised otherwise by the medical practitioner. If you have been scheduled for some blood work it is advised that you let your doctor know of any meds and supplements that you are on to avoid any doubts of skewed lab results.
However, there’s no indication that routine and daily meds such as blood pressure meds and blood thinners interfere with fasting blood tests so you should definitely continue taking them as per prescription. You can also take Over the counter meds such as ibuprofen and any other if you happen to have a headache before your blood test.
In this brief blog, we have answered the question, “What to eat the day before a blood test?” We have looked into related topics such as some common blood fasting tests. We have as well looked into the uses of having a blood test done. We have discussed if it’s okay to drink black coffee and also if it’s okay to take medications before a fasting blood test.