In this brief guide, we will address the query, “what time should you eat dinner?” We will also discuss some delicious dinner options and what happens inside your body when you eat too late at night.
What time should you eat dinner?
Determining the best time to eat dinner is hard because it is not the same for all of us, it will depend entirely on our eating habits, but it is recommended to have dinner from 3 to 4 hours before going to bed.
According to HuffPost, taking into consideration the average time to go to bed, which is around 10 or 11 p.m., dinner should occur between 6 and 8 p.m.
Dinner is the moment we have all been waiting for the whole day, because of the daily obligations we might tend to let our hunger unattended until dinner time arrives, which causes overeating.
It is true that your dinner schedule will depend on your daily habits but defining your eating schedule will boost your health, and you can even start losing weight! Eating your meals at the right time will bring a variety of health benefits, and you will not regret it.
Is there a best time to eat dinner?
As surprising as it sounds, there is no perfect time to eat a meal, it will depend on your daily routine but, still, you should follow some guidelines. I do not blame you, trying to have healthy eating patterns is especially hard nowadays with the busy life we might have.
Several conditions are related to our erratic eating patterns. Eating dinner too late at night increases the risk of heartburn, overeating, and making poor food choices in general.
Now, if you have specific goals, like losing weight or you have a certain condition, the time you have dinner will help you to reach them. We attend to circadian rhythms in response to light and dark hours of the day.
Once the dark hours start, our body will start to produce melatonin, a chemical substance that will prepare us for sleep. Some studies suggested that eating when you have started producing melatonin increases the risk of gaining body fat.
Also, if you eat late at night your whole circadian rhythm will be messed up, which also promotes gaining weight. LAte at night, we tend to crave greasy food, which might not be the best for our health.
Dinner time will indeed be closely related to your schedule, but it is important to leave about 3 to 4 hours food-free before going to bed.
What happens with your body when you eat dinner late at night?
Eating dinner late at night can mess up your circadian rhythm, which will cause you to sleep less and fatigue will be a constant in your life. Also, there are some other health affectations caused by poor eating patterns.
- Acid reflux. If you ingest a heavy dinner, your sleep will be disturbed by a burning sensation in your chest as a result of the irritation of the esophageal lining. Eating dinner earlier has been proven to reduce acid reflux symptoms.
- Blood sugar. Gaining weight is not the only thing that you should care about, people who eat late exhibit about 20% higher blood sugar levels than those who have dinner earlier. If you want to get further guidance on this subject, click here.
How to prepare a healthy dinner?
Besides choosing the best schedule to have dinner, it is important to eat ingredients that will provide nutrients needed for our body. Fortunately, preparing a healthy dinner is not rocket science, you can have fun while taking care of your health.
Try to avoid a dinner with high sugar and fat levels, as they will be heavy on your system and might disrupt your sleep. It is important to include veggies to provide fiber, some protein sources, and some healthy carbs.
Let your imagination fly and have a fun time in the kitchen. I will leave you my favorite dinner options, let me know if you give some of these a try.
- For those vegans, I recommend this spinach, sweet potato, and lentil dhal. It will provide you with minerals, and vitamins and is extremely low in fat.
- If you want to include various veggies, you should try this simple fish stew, it tastes amazing, and let you mix the freshness of fish and prawns with some of your fav vegetables.
- If you want some beef, this balsamic beef stew with veggie mash will change your dinner experience.
In this brief guide, we have addressed the query, “what time should you eat dinner?” We have also discussed some delicious dinner options and some other queries related to the subject at hand.
Hope you found this blog useful. If you have any questions, please let us know.