In this brief article, we will answer the question, “What is the temperature to cook pulled pork?” and provide information on how to check the doneness of pulled pork, what cut is required to prepare pulled pork, tips to make pulled pork, and how pork can be shredded.
What is the temperature to cook pulled pork?
The temperature to cook pulled pork is 205 degrees Fahrenheit. However, you can begin shredding pork once it reaches a temperature of 195 degrees Fahrenheit. Make sure to have a meat thermometer by your side once you start to cook pulled pork.
If you want the pork to cook faster, increase the temperature to 325 degrees Fahrenheit and allow it to cook for 2-3 hours. Wrap the pork with foil to fasten the cooking process.
Refer to the table given below to obtain an idea of the time required to cook pork.
|Type of meat||Temperature for doneness of meat||Temperature to smoke meat||Time required to cook meat|
|Sliced pork butt (1 pound)||185 degrees Fahrenheit||250 degrees Fahrenheit||1 ½ hour|
|Pulled pork (1 pound)||205 degrees Fahrenheit||250 degrees Fahrenheit||1 ½ hour|
|Pork tenderloin||145 degrees Fahrenheit||250 degrees Fahrenheit||2 ½ hours|
How to check the doneness of pulled pork?
You can check the doneness of pulled pork by using a meat thermometer. If you do not have a meat thermometer, make sure to go for a poke test. You can poke the inside of the meat. If it appears to be tender or soft, the meat is likely to be done.
What cut is required to prepare pulled pork?
Pork shoulder, also called pork butt is required to prepare pulled pork. The shoulder of pork is present nearer to the legs and muscle portion which makes it juicier.
This part of meat also contains a higher amount of connective tissue. When cooked over low heat, the meat can get tender due to the presence of connective tissues.
Pork shoulder has higher fat levels too. Pork butt is usually sold with skin. You can cook them with skin to help make them crisper.
What are some tips to prepare pulled pork?
- Make sure to remove excess fat before smoking pulled pork.
- Marinate pulled pork with a spice mixture for an hour before keeping them in the smoker.
- Cover the pork with foil after marinating them.
- Preheat the smoker to a temperature of 325 degrees Fahrenheit. You can use a gas grill and set it to medium heat to preheat the smoker. You can add wood chips or apple juice to the smoker.
- Keep the pulled pork on a smoker. Make sure that the fat side of the pork is not faced down. Place a food thermometer inside the pork.
- The internal temperature of pork has to reach at least 160 degrees Fahrenheit so that it is done. Once the temperature reaches 160 degrees Fahrenheit, you can cook pork till it reaches 205 degrees Fahrenheit for more juiciness.
- Once the pork has done cooking, do not remove them from the foil. Allow them to rest in aluminum foil for ½ an hour.
- You can also cook pork on a slow cooker but it can take around 6-7 hours for it to get cooked.
- Add a layer of barbecue sauce on top of the pork to ensure that a smoky flavor is obtained.
How can you shred pulled pork?
Once the pork has cooled, you can use your hands or tongs to start shredding the pork. Wait till the meat cooks or there is a risk of your hands getting burnt.
You can also use forks to shred them. Pierce two forks inside the meat and pull them in opposite directions.
Bear meat claws can be used to shred pulled pork too. You can hold bear meat claws in your hands and pierce meat using them.
What are some side dishes that can be served with pulled pork?
Some sides served with pulled pork are given below:
- Coleslaw is one of the popular sides that can go well with pulled pork. A little bit of mayonnaise can be added to coleslaw to further improve its flavor.
- Cornbread is a common side dish that is consumed along with pulled pork.
- Baked beans (you can also use canned ones) can help in flavoring the juicy pork. You can add a bit of tomato or lemon juice to prevent beans from becoming mushy.
In this brief article, we have answered the question, “What is the temperature to cook pulled pork?” and provided information on how to check the doneness of pulled pork, what cut is required to prepare pulled pork, tips to make pulled pork, and how pork can be shredded.