In this brief blog, we will answer the query,”What is the drinking age in London?” We will also look at if you can work in a restaurant or bar if under 18 years old in England. We will finally briefly discuss where you can drink alcohol in England.
What is the drinking age in london?
The drinking age in London is 18 years. England in general has varying laws and restrictions when it comes to minimum age and drinking alcohol and this is dependent on where you are and what you purchase as well as where you take your drink and who purchases it. Some of the laws are as below:
- You must be aged at least 18 years so as to purchase alcohol in a bar or liquor shop. It is illegal for someone to buy alcohol for people aged below 18 years to drink in a public area. However, it is okay for adults to buy alcohol for children to drink privately at home.
- Teenagers aged 16 to 17 years can take wine, beer or cider if accompanied by a meal at a public establishment if the drinks are bought by an accompanying adult. However those aged below 18 years cannot drink spirits such as whiskey and rum even if accompanying a meal and with an adult.
- Anyone below 18 years may not take alcohol in a public place such as a park or in the streets. Police can confiscate such alcohol if consumed under the above circumstances.
- Those aged 16 and under can enter a pub or bar in the company of an adult but cannot drink alcohol. However this is not always the case as it also depends on the restrictions placed by the establishment.
- It is illegal to give alcohol to children that are aged under 5 years.
Can you work in a restaurant or bar if under 18 years old in England?
Yes, you can serve alcohol in a restaurant or bar if you are aged 16 or 17 years only if the license holder or bar manager has duly approved the sale.
However, some areas restrict these sales to only sealed bottles of alcohol such as cans. So, if you happen to be served in England by someone who looks below 18 years, that is because it is legal.
Where can you drink alcohol in England?
There are many places where you can drink alcohol in England but of course the most common and popular places are pubs which usually serve pints of beer, wine by the glass and spirits.
A lot of pubs in England nowadays also offer prosecco by the tap. You can also go drinking in a club or a restaurant and also in coffee shops. London is famous for its cocktail bars which are usually in many luxury hotels.
In some areas it is considered illegal to carry or drink alcohol in the streets. In such scenarios the police can confiscate any open bottles or pints that you carry on the streets so you should familiarize yourself with the rules and regulations of the area that you are traveling to.
In this brief blog, we have answered the query,”What is the drinking age in London?” We have also looked at if you can work in a restaurant or bar if under 18 years old in England. We have finally briefly discussed where you can drink alcohol in England.