What if your dog eats wasps?

This dog article will answer the major question, “What if your dog eats wasps?” we will also discuss the bad effects of consuming a wasp for your dog, how to treat your dog, and whether a wasp can kill your dog.

What if your dog eats wasps?

If your dog eats wasps, it will lead to choking and other problems in your dog. When your dog consumes a wasp, it will sting your dog several times to get free. This will lead to an anaphylactic reaction which can cause swelling. This swelling can block the major airways, which makes it difficult for your dog to respire.

What are the bad effects of consuming wasps on your dog’s health?

Following are the bad effects of consuming wasps on your dog’s health:

Anaphylactic reactions

The sting of the wasp can cause an anaphylactic reaction in your dog because it starts an anti-allergic response to the allergic sting of the wasp. If your dog is stung by many wasps it could prove deadly because an allergic reaction can cause difficulty in respiration for your dog.

Following are the major clinical signs of allergic reactions in your dog:

  • Loss of appetite
  • Itching 
  • Hives
  • Irritation in skin
  • Breathing problems
  • Rashes on the skin

If your dog is showing these signs after the sting of the wasp you should take your dog to the vet immediately after that.

Choking

The next problem is choking in your dog. This happens when your dog consumes too many wasps. Your dog is a curious animal and it will try to explore its environment as much as it can. If your dog comes across any wasp, it will try to sniff it and then eat it. The wasp will sting the esophagus of your dog and it can cause swelling in the esophagus.

This swelling will block the esophagus and can cause choking in your dog.

Following are the major clinical signs of choking in your dog:

  • Pawing at head
  • Head towards the ground
  • Loss of appetite
  • Unable to vomit
  • Restlessness

You should analyze the condition of your dog and then call your vet for further help.

Breathing problems

As we have discussed earlier in the article, a wasp sting can cause choking in your dog. The swelling in the esophagus can also put pressure on the trachea and cause a tracheal collapse in your dog. The trachea is the windpipe of your dog, and the collapse of the trachea can lead to the death of your dog if not treated in time. 

Anemia

The next condition is anemia in the dog. If your dog ate too many wasps it can lead to a decrease in the number of red blood cells in the body. This can lead to anemia. Severe anemia can cause hypoxia in the tissues because red blood cells are the major transporter of oxygen to the tissues.

Following are the major clinical signs of anemia in your dog:

  • Increased heart rate
  • Increased breathing
  • Loss of appetite
  • Pale mucous membrane
  • Lethargy
  • Weakness

Can wasp sting kill your dog?

Yes, a wasp sting can kill your dog. If there is severe anemia in your dog, it can lead to the death of your dog. Immune-mediated secondary hemolytic anemia is a condition that develops when your dog consumes too many wasps or is stung by too many wasps. 

In severe conditions, blood transfusion in dogs is suggested to treat your dog. You shouldn’t consider the bee sting an easy-to-handle condition because it has far worse consequences than you expect.

The management in the early phase is very easy, and your dog will recover soon.

How can you treat wasp sting in your dog?

You can wash the affected area with soap water as it is alkaline in nature. You can also use sodium bicarbonate due to its alkalinity. A wasp sting is acidic in nature which is why it causes an anaphylactic reaction in the body. 

Please do not try to pull the sting from the skin with the help of forceps or tweezers because it can damage the skin of your dog and put your dog in the most dangerous situation. 

If you are not able to deal with the situation, take your dog to the vet so that your vet can treat it. Your vet will use antiallergic drugs to decrease the severity of anaphylactic shock in your dog. We would suggest you keep your dog indoors to protect it from a wasp sting.

Conclusion

This dog blog answered the major question, “What if your dog eats wasps?” we also discussed the bad effects of consuming a wasp for your dog, how to treat your dog, and whether a wasp can kill your dog.

References

https://www.vin.com/apputil/content/defaultadv1.aspx?pId=11181&catId=30088&id=3852238#:~:text=Immune%20mediated%20haemolytic%20anaemia%20is,%2C%20infectious%20diseases%2C%20and%20microangiopathies.
https://www.vets-now.com/pet-care-advice/dog-wasp-sting-in-mouth/#:~:text=If%20your%20dog%20has%20eaten,should%20seek%20urgent%20veterinary%20advice.

What was missing from this post which could have made it better?

Leave a Comment