What happens when you accidentally eat mold?


In this brief article, we will answer the question, “what happens when you accidentally eat mold?”. We will also discuss how you can keep foods mold-free. Moreover, we will discuss the health risks of eating moldy foods.

What happens when you accidentally eat mold?

If you accidentally eat a small amount of mold, you may not experience any symptoms. However, if you eat a large amount of mold, or if you have a mold allergy, you may experience serious or even life-threatening symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. 

You may also experience an allergic reaction with symptoms such as difficulty breathing, hive, or swelling of the face, lips, and tongue.

Moldy foods can contain harmful toxins that can cause serious health problems and can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and abdominal pain. 

In some cases, moldy food has been responsible for health issues such as cancer,respiratory infections, and  liver damage.

Some illnesses in humans are caused by toxins. These mycotoxins can be found in both the mold itself and in the air around the mold. Inhaling mycotoxins can cause respiratory illness, and ingesting mycotoxins can cause gastrointestinal illness. 

Some mycotoxins can also cause neurological illness, and some mycotoxins can be carcinogenic. Therefore, it is important to avoid exposure to mold, especially if you have a mold allergy or if you are immunocompromised.

What is mold?

Mold is found in the fungi group that can grow in outdoors and indoors environments. It generally thrives in warm, humid conditions, and can often be found in areas such as basements, bathrooms, or kitchens. 

Molds are found in brown, green, white and black colors which can cause infections in the respiratory, skin lashes, and cause allergic reactions.

Mold typically begins as a small spore that is invisible to the naked eye floating in the air therefore foods are exposed to them all the time .Once inside the house the spores will begin to grow and multiply in areas that are warm and humid. 

Mold can grow on surfaces such as wood, paper, carpet, and food. During sporulation, mold produces tiny spores that are released into the air. New mold colonies are started when mold spores spread to other areas.

Can you just cut around the moldy part?

No, cutting around the moldy part does not totally eliminate the mold, more harmful substances and bacteria still remain in the food. Bacteria called Listeria cause food-borne illnesses. Moreover, bacteria cannot be seen with the naked eye. 

Foods such as yogurts, peanut butter, restaurant leftovers, jams and jellies, and soft vegetables should be thrown away once they develop mold. 

However, there are foods that can be salvaged despite having mold. If mold is found in some parts of a hard vegetable. You can cut it off and still safely consume your vegetable be it bell peppers or cabbage.

Some foods are also situation dependent. For example, Bananas mostly contain mold on the peel. If the banana does not have an off smell, you can peel the banana and eat it.

How can you keep food mold-free?

To keep food mold-free, foods should be stored in a cool, dry place with good ventilation. Mold thrives in warm, moist environments, so it is important to keep food dry and free of moisture. 

Mold also needs a food source to grow, so it is important to store food in airtight containers or wrap it tightly in plastic wrap. 

Refrigerated and frozen foods are less susceptible to mold attach since the storage temperatures are not favorable to molds. However, mold can still grow in these cold environments if the food is not properly stored. For example, mold can grow on food that is not properly sealed in an airtight container.

Moreover, it is important to keep refrigerators and freezers clean. A clean freezer prevents mold by keeping the area free of food particles and other debris that mold can feed on. 

Additionally, regular cleaning of the freezer helps to prevent the build-up of ice which can create an environment that is conducive to mold growth.

For details on the types of molds. Click here

Conclusion

In this brief article, we have answered the question, “what happens when you accidentally eat mold?” We have also discussed whether it is okay to cut off moldy parts of the food and the health risks of moldy foods.

Hope you find this blog useful, in case of any questions, please let us know

Citations

https://www.google.com/amp/s/health.clevelandclinic.org/what-happens-if-you-eat-moldy-food/amp/

https://www.womenshealthmag.com/food/a26078857/what-happens-if-you-eat-mold/#:~:text=While%20most%20mold%20 isn%27t,and%20death%2C%20per%20the%20 USDA.

What was missing from this post which could have made it better?

Leave a Comment