In this brief guide, we will answer the question “What happens if you eat moldy bread?”, and discuss if you can scrape off the mold and eat the rest of the bread. We will also discuss ways to keep your bread fresh and mold free for a long time. We will also discuss what to do if you accidentally eat moldy bread.
What happens if you eat moldy bread?
If you eat moldy bread, it can make you sick, though it really depends on how much of it you ingested. If you have a healthy immune system, you may be able to get away with small amounts of ingested mold but this does not mean that you should eat it.
Eating moldy bread can lead to symptoms of an upset gastrointestinal tract such as nausea, vomiting, diarrhea or stomach ache. People who have a weakened immune system are at a higher risk of getting sick from eating moldy bread.
Other than this, inhaled mold spores can also trigger allergies and asthma. So, avoid smelling the bread if you see mold on it. You can not see the spores but they are usually present. It can lead to respiratory problems.
Certain types of mold also produce toxins called mycotoxins. These can be harmful when ingested and can lead to an upset stomach.
Additionally, mold can also throw off the balance of the normal flora in your gut. Normal flora refers to the microorganisms such as bacteria that are considered ‘good’, that occur in your gut naturally.
Can you scrape off the mold and then eat the bread?
No, you should not scrape off the mold and then eat the bread. This is because bread is soft and it is easy for mold to penetrate it all the way through.
Even if you scrape off the top layer, you will not be able to see if mold is present inside the bread. In addition, spores can also trigger allergies and these spores are not visible.
Moreover, as discussed above, some molds produce mycotoxins. These are also not visible and sometimes may not even alter the taste and smell of the bread. So, whenever you see mold on bread, just throw it out.
How to keep the bread fresh for longer?
Proper storage is required in order to make your bread last longer and mold-free. Bread should be kept in a cool, dry place away from moisture and heat. Moisture is one of the major causes of mold growth on bread. Keep the packaging of bread dry. If you see any moisture on it, pat it dry.
Do not keep the bread near heat. Appliances such as the fridge produce heat so do not keep the bread on top of it or near it.
Keep it away from the stove top as well. The ideal place for storage of bread is a breadbox. Consider investing in one if you wish to keep your bread fresh for a long time.
Lastly, you can also freeze the bread. This way, it lasts for a very long time. Just put it inside a freezer-safe bag and stash it inside the freezer.
Find out what types of mold are dangerous here.
What to do if you have accidentally eaten moldy bread?
Well, there is not much you can do in case you have accidentally consumed moldy bread. You can just stay hydrated and look out for any symptoms such as nausea or vomiting.
Most often, mold would not harm you if you are healthy and you have just eaten a small amount of it. However, if you have ingested mycotoxins, then they may start to make you feel sick within a couple of hours. So, if you experience any severe symptoms then visit your healthcare provider.
Also, some people who are allergic to mold or have asthma may have trouble breathing. Such cases need medical attention immediately. Although it is very rare for these cases to be so severe, it is better to be safe than sorry.
In this brief guide, we answered the question “What happens if you eat moldy bread?”, and discussed if you can scrape off the mold and eat the rest of the bread. We also discussed ways to keep your bread fresh and mold free for a long time. We also discussed what to do if you accidentally eat moldy bread.