In this brief article, we will answer the question, “What does orange vomit indicate?” and provide information on the causes of orange vomit, when to visit a doctor as well as other colors of vomit.
What does orange vomit indicate?
Orange vomit can indicate indigestion. Orange vomit can be observed in the initial few hours of illness. Orange vomit might usually persist for a period of 1-2 days. It is not something to be worried about.
What are the causes of orange vomit?
Some of the common causes of orange vomit are given below:
- Food poisoning can be one of the common causes of orange vomit. Food poisoning can often occur after consuming contaminated drinks or water. Some of the common symptoms that can accompany orange vomit are diarrhea, fever, and stomach cramps.
- Stomach flu or gastroenteritis can be another cause of orange vomit. Gastroenteritis often occurs when an individual comes in contact with another individual who is already suffering from symptoms of consuming contaminated food or water.
Some of the symptoms observed in this disease are muscle aches, stomach pain, and mild fever.
- Flu or influenza can cause orange vomit. This disease has a sudden onset. It is characterized by a runny nose, fever, tiredness, sore throat, and headaches.
- Migraines can be another common reason for orange vomit to occur. Migraines can last for a few hours to many days. You might even have the urge to vomit during migraine episodes.
Individuals suffering from migraines are likely to have orange vomit. This can especially occur when migraines start to peak.
- Pregnancy can be another reason for orange vomit. As the feeling of vomiting often arises in the morning, this condition is termed morning sickness.
Other causes of vomiting can include food poisoning, inner ear infection, motion sickness, appendicitis, and consuming certain medications.
When should you visit your doctor?
If the vomiting persists for a longer time, it is better to visit a doctor. Apart from this, if you observe blood in vomit, it can be another reason to instantly visit a hospital.
Vomiting can be accompanied by symptoms of shallow breathing, dizziness, and shock. If you have a medical history of chronic diseases or are currently suffering from any disease (high blood pressure, diabetes, etc), it is better to visit a doctor.
If you are unable to drink or eat any food due to nausea, it is another sign to visit a doctor. If you have lost weight, experience dehydration, or experienced severe chest pain, visit a hospital.
Sometimes, vomiting can be linked to psychological issues too. Cyclical vomiting disorder occurs because of a neurological issue. In case of cyclical vomiting, you might vomit at the same time each day.
What are some other colors of vomit?
- If the color of the vomit is green, it indicates the presence of bile in the vomit. Bile in the gallbladder is involved in fat metabolism. Individuals with morning sickness might experience green or orange vomit.
If the green-colored vomit lasts for several days, it can be a cause of concern. In such cases, it would be better to visit a doctor.
- Yellow vomit usually occurs when digestive juices are mixed with partially digested food. It is often observed in cases of gastroenteritis as well.
- Red/ pink vomit indicates the presence of blood in the vomit. Vomiting blood can indicate hematemesis. In children, red vomit can point to clotting disorders, birth defects, or injury to the mouth.
In adults, forceful vomiting can be a cause of blood in vomit. Apart from this peptic ulcers, liver injury, and oral injury can be other reasons. Blood in vomit is a cause of concern and needs to be shown to a doctor.
- Vomit with brown stains can indicate a food pipe or stomach-related injury. Oral injury (damage to gums or mouth), throat injury, constipation, or peptic ulcer are some other causes of brown vomit.
- Black vomit can occur when there is stomach bleeding or a stomach disorder. The vomit becomes black because the blood can mix with acids in the stomach.
Excessive internal bleeding can cause the vomit to be sticky. As a result, it is important to immediately visit a hospital for an assessment.
- Colorless vomit can occur if the individual has already vomited a number of times. This can be observed in conditions of flu, migraines, morning sickness, or cyclical vomiting disorder. Head injury or gastric outlet obstruction can be other causes of colorless vomit.
In this brief article, we have answered the question, “What does orange vomit indicate?” and provided information on the cause of orange vomit, when to visit a doctor as well as other colors of vomit.