What does chamomile tea taste like?
In this brief article, we will answer the question, “What does chamomile tea taste like?” and provide information on what exactly chamomile tea is, why sweeteners are added to them, whether milk can be added to them, its health benefits, how to prepare them as well as tips to prepare them.
What does chamomile tea taste like?
Chamomile tea tastes sweet with slight notes of apple. The mouthfeel of the tea can be silky with slightly floral tones. It has a light yellow color. Some individuals feel that chamomile tea tastes similar to honey.
What exactly is chamomile tea?
Chamomile tea is a herbal tea that is produced by brewing chamomile flowers in water. Sometimes, honey can be added to help balance its earthy flavor.
If the chamomile flowers are brewed for a long time in the water, they can give a very strong flavor which might not be very appealing. As a result, do not brew for more than 5-8 minutes.
Why are sweeteners added to chamomile tea?
Some might feel chamomile tea’s flavor to be very overbearing or too bland. To remove the blandness, sweeteners can be added.
Some add lemon juice, mint, or honey to the tea. Some add artificial sweeteners as well. You can add sugar instead of honey too.
The addition of ginger can help in soothing the digestive system. A bit of vanilla can be added to the tea as well. The addition of jaggery or maple syrup might also work in sweetening the tea.
Can you add milk to chamomile tea?
Yes, you can definitely add non-dairy milk to chamomile tea. Soy milk is a popular option for preparing chamomile tea. Soy milk is often accompanied by ginger to give a spicy and peppery feel to the tea.
How to prepare chamomile tea?
Follow the given steps to prepare chamomile tea at home:
- Add 3 cups of water to a saucepan and bring them to a boil.
- Once the water starts to boil, add chamomile flowers to them. You can then switch off the heat.
- Cover the saucepan and allow the flowers to steep for 5 minutes. Once the steeping period is over, strain the flowers using a strainer and pour the tea into a cup.
- Add a few drops of lime juice along with honey and serve.
What are some tips to prepare chamomile tea?
Some tips to prepare chamomile tea are given below:
- If you wish to consume an iced version of chamomile tea, allow the water to bring to a boil and then switch off the heat after adding chamomile flowers.
Allow the flowers to steep for 5 minutes. Strain them and then allow the tea to cool before keeping them in the fridge. You can add ice cubes to the drink too.
- You can also add cinnamon, lemongrass, or lavender to chamomile tea.
- You can also use readymade tea bags available in the market for preparing chamomile tea as well.
- You can add any non-dairy milk to prepare chamomile tea. Though soy milk is popularly used, cashew milk, coconut milk, almond milk, and oat milk are popular substitutes.
- Matcha can be added to chamomile tea to further improve the flavor and health benefits of this tea.
You can make the matcha by sifting a teaspoon of matcha powder into a bowl. Heat water in an electric kettle to 180 degrees Fahrenheit.
You can then add a small amount of this heated water to matcha and mix them well with a bamboo whisk. Add ¼ cup of water to the matcha and then mix again. Mix till the mixture becomes a bit frothy. This can be then added to tea.
If you do not have a bamboo whisk, go for a blender. Add the matcha powder along with the ingredients required for tea (except chamomile flowers) in a blender and serve them in glasses.
What are some health benefits of chamomile tea?
Some health benefits of chamomile tea are given below:
- Chamomile tea has been shown to be effective against menstrual cramps. According to a 2010 study, consuming chamomile tea every day for a month helped to reduce menstrual pain.
- Chamomile tea was shown to be effective in reducing blood sugar levels. This was observed in a 2008 study conducted on rats.
- Chamomile tea can prevent the risk of developing osteoporosis in women and improve bone mineral density.
- Chamomile tea can lower levels of inflammation.
- Chamomile tea can reduce anxiety levels and promote sleep.
In this brief article, we have answered the question, “What does chamomile tea taste like?” and provided information on what exactly chamomile tea is, why sweeteners are added to them, whether milk can be added to them, its health benefits, how to prepare them as well as tips to prepare them.