In this brief article, we will answer the question, “What can guinea pigs eat daily?” and provide information on whether fruits can be given to guinea pigs, whether frozen veggies or fruits could be fed to guinea pigs, when to feed guinea pigs, and tips on feeding them.
What can guinea pigs eat daily?
Guinea pigs can eat kale, cucumber, romaine lettuce, and coriander daily. It is important to feed them with a variety of foods so that they get sufficient nutrition. A variety of veggies has to be given to guinea pigs.
Other veggies like asparagus, broccoli, beetroot, brussels sprouts, pumpkin, sweet potatoes, and red or white cabbage can be given occasionally.
Mix many veggies so that guinea pigs get a combination of nutrients. A cup of veggies can be enough for guinea pigs.
If your guinea pigs stop eating, do not force-feed them. Guinea pigs stop eating when they feel full. Remove leftover veggies and keep them aside. You can give veggies once a day or divide portions by giving one in the morning and once at night.
Apart from leafy greens, herbs like basil, parsley, and mint can be fed to guinea pigs as well. Weeds, wild plants, dandelion leaves, and thistle can be provided too.
Can fruits be given to guinea pigs daily?
No, fruits cannot be given daily to guinea pigs. This is because fruits contain sugar. Feeding excess sugar to guinea pigs can increase the risk of developing diarrhea and metabolic diseases like obesity.
Give them 1-2 small slices of fruit. The slice should be as small as a grape. Some fruits that can be occasionally given to them are pears, papayas, blueberries, strawberries, peaches, melons, kiwis, mangos, apples, and bananas.
Can frozen veggies or fruits be given to guinea pigs?
No, frozen fruits or veggies cannot be given to guinea pigs. Also, canned or tinned food cannot be given either. Instead, fresh fruits and veggies have to be given to guinea pigs.
What other foods can be given to guinea pigs?
Apart from fruits and veggies, guinea pigs indulge in the hay. There are guinea pig pellets available. This can be given in small amounts to them. Do not solely give fruits and veggies to guinea pigs.
When should you feed guinea pigs?
Guinea pigs need to be fed only 2 times a day (once in the morning and once in the evening). This is because guinea pigs tend to overeat. Hay and certain veggies can be given to guinea pigs every day as it is a good source of fiber.
What are some tips on feeding guinea pigs?
- Do not give processed foods to guinea pigs. This would include sauces, juices, etc. Instead of fruit/ veggie juices, small portions of whole fruits or veggies can be given as fruit or vegetable juices are high in sugar. Besides, they can be processed too.
- Wash fruits and veggies before giving them to guinea pigs. This is because both veggies and fruits can contain pesticide residues.
- Do not give whole fruit or vegetable to guinea pigs as there is a risk of them choking on it. Chop them finely before giving them.
- Guinea pigs can be quite choosy with food. Introduce new foods gradually to them. If they reject a food, you can introduce the same food again and again, till they accept it.
- A small bowl of water should be kept close to guinea pigs, especially during warmer weather. You can give them water in a small bowl or water bottle.
If your guinea pig drinks from a water bottle, make sure to wash it daily. Fruits can also help hydrate guinea pigs but feed them fruits occasionally.
- Remove peels of fruits or veggies before giving them to guinea pigs.
- Some foods that should not be given to guinea pigs are mushrooms, peanut butter, seeds, rhubarb, chocolate, and dairy products.
- Give fresh and good-quality hay to guinea pigs. The hay should also have a good smell and not contain mold.
- Guinea pigs require Vitamin C as they cannot prepare this nutrient in their body. Pellets and fruits can contain Vitamin C. Read the instructions given on the package of pellets before giving them to guinea pigs.
- Oranges should be given in limited quantities as they can be acidic.
- Foods containing artificial sweeteners or sugar should be considered a treat and not exceed more than 10 percent of caloric intake.
- Consult your vet before giving plants to guinea pigs.
In this brief article, we have answered the question, “What can guinea pigs eat daily?” and provided information on whether fruits can be given to guinea pigs, whether frozen veggies or fruits could be fed to guinea pigs, when to feed guinea pigs, and tips on feeding them.