In this brief guide, we will answer the query, “What are the spices to put in ramen?”. We will also discuss them in detail. Moreover, we will also talk about the other ingredients that can be added to ramen.
What are the spices to put in ramen?
Ginger , Black pepper, White pepper, Garlic and onion powder, and Star anise are some of the spices that you can put in ramen. Although most ramen already has its own seasoning, we can add varieties of spices to the ramen for extra flavors.
Let us discuss some of the spices that can be added to ramen:
It is derived from the root (or rhizome) of the Zingiber officinale plant. Since ginger offers a wide range of flavors, from lemony and fresh to scorching and spicy, it blends beautifully with the taste of ramen, while adding to the savory flavors.
Black pepper has hot, earthy, and woody flavors with some bitter undertones. If you want some spice in your ramen but not too spicy like chili powder, then black pepper is the perfect spice for your ramen, giving you just the right amount of heat. Moreover, it also adds an extra depth of flavors to the ramen broth.
White pepper has a milder flavor and aroma than black pepper which is perfect for balancing out the flavors in your ramen.
Garlic and onion powder
Garlic and onion always go hand in hand whether in their fresh form or ground form. You can add these two spices to basically any recipe and you will notice that your flavors are enhanced.
They have comparatively mild flavors than fresh garlic or onion, but for ramen, these mild tones work great.
This star-shaped spice is very similar to anise, fennel, or licorice in taste. It has very strong, distinct warm, sweet, peppery, and spicy flavors. It is one of the main ingredients in most Chinese dishes, especially broth. It works great in savory dishes so you can enhance the flavors of your ramen broth by adding some star anise.
Coriander gives a very nutty and lemony flavor to the ramen. If you want some tangy flavors in your ramen, then coriander is the spice that you shouldn’t miss out on in your recipe. Its mild flavors add a unique taste and aroma to your recipes without overpowering the other spices and ingredients.
Red pepper flakes
Red pepper flakes are dried and crushed red chili peppers that can be used to add heat to your recipes. You can sprinkle some red pepper flakes on top of the ramen for some hint of spice. Although they aren’t the spiciest pepper out there, they are great seasoning for people who want some hotness in their ramen, but not too much of it.
Cinnamon has warm, earthy, sweet flavors with a very aromatic smell. You can use ground cinnamon in your ramen by adding it to the broth to make it more flavorful and tastier. Add some ground cinnamon to the water before cooking the noodles. This will give your ramen a very unique flavor profile.
What are the other ingredients that can be added to ramen?
- Adding fresh garlic, green onion, or scallions to your ramen can instantly elevate its flavors. Scallions and ramen make the perfect pair. Once you start adding scallions to your ramen, you’ll never want to have it any other way.
- You can also add some extra sauce like chili garlic sauce, oyster sauce, fish sauce, gochujang, soy sauce, etc to your ramen broth.
- Adding vegetables like carrots, bell peppers, mushrooms, peas, cabbage, corn, etc. to your ramen can be a healthier and more filling option.
- You can also add some eggs, sausages, bacon, or tofu for extra flavors. They all pair well with ramen.
- Ramen with some cheese toppings is all the rage these days, they make a pretty good pair.
- You can also add some minced meat or thinly sliced meats in your ramen. Adding minced meat to your ramen broth thickens it as well.
- You can top off your ramen with many interesting ingredients like kimchi, sesame seeds, crumbled bacon, dried seaweed, fresh herbs, a drizzle of toasted sesame oil, different sauces, chili flakes, or fresh lemon juice.
Find an easy homemade flavorful ramen recipe here.
In this brief guide, we have answered the query, “What are the spices to put in ramen?”. We have also discussed them in detail. Moreover, we have also talked about the other ingredients that can be added to ramen.