In this brief article, we will answer the question, “What are the side effects of washing hair with apple cider vinegar?” and provide information on precautions to take while applying apple cider vinegar to hair, other ways to take them in, benefits of them as well as how to apply them to your hair.
What are the side effects of washing hair with apple cider vinegar?
Side effects of washing hair with apple cider vinegar include scalp irritation, itching, or a burning sensation in the scalp. The side effects associated with the usage of apple cider vinegar are very rare.
People sensitive to apple cider vinegar can showcase these side effects. As a result, it is important to follow certain precautions to prevent these side effects.
What are some precautions to follow while using apple cider vinegar?
- Apple cider vinegar is acidic and has the potential to damage your hair if you do not use them carefully. If you have less hair, scalp problems, or hair loss problems, it would be better to consult a dermatologist before using them.
- You can undergo a patch test before using apple cider vinegar. This can be done by applying apple cider vinegar to a small portion of your scalp. If there are any issues observed, stop using them.
- Do not excessively use apple cider vinegar. This can end up destroying your hair.
- Use an unfiltered version of apple cider vinegar. If you are buying an apple cider vinegar shampoo, buy one that does not contain any chemicals. Organic ones are safe to use.
- Do not directly apply apple cider vinegar to your hair. Make sure to always dilute them with water before application. If you experience irritation on application, dilute the apple cider vinegar solution by adding more water.
What are some other ways to take apple cider vinegar?
Apart from application to hair, you can also take apple cider vinegar orally. Adding them to a drink can help.
You can prepare an apple cider vinegar drink by mixing 1 tbsp of apple cider vinegar with a glass of warm water and 1 tsp of honey. This can aid in weight loss by reducing your appetite.
Apart from this, apple cider vinegar can be consumed in the form of gummies. If you do not like to consume the drink or gummies, there are apple cider vinegar capsules available too.
What are some benefits of applying apple cider vinegar to hair?
More studies need to be conducted to know the exact benefits of apple cider vinegar on hair. According to a Japanese study, apple cider vinegar reduced the aging of the scalp. Moderate exposure to apple cider vinegar helped in making the roots of hair stronger.
According to a study by the Korean Dermatological Association, the application of apple cider vinegar reduced the development of lesions and helped to balance the pH levels.
The nutrients present in apple cider vinegar can aid in hair growth as well. When taken orally, good microbiomes present in apple cider vinegar helped in stimulating the thickness of hair.
Apple cider vinegar can bring down the levels of inflammatory cytokines. These cytokines promote inflammation and cause an itchy scalp.
Apple cider vinegar mixed with lemon juice can aid in reducing dandruff levels according to another study. It can also prevent oil accumulation and give a particular shine to the hair.
How can you apply apple cider vinegar to your hair?
There are many kinds of apple cider vinegar products available in the market. They are available in the form of shampoos, scrubs, conditioners, etc. However, you can also prepare an apple cider vinegar solution at home.
Follow the given steps:
- In a spray bottle, add apple cider vinegar and water. The ratio of apple cider vinegar to water can be 1:5. Do not add more than 5 tbsp of apple cider vinegar to the solution.
- For more benefits and a wonderful fragrance, add a few drops of rose or tree oil.
- Spray the solution over your hair. Do not spray too much.
- Slowly massage your scalp so that the solution spreads all through your hair. Once that has been done, allow the scalp to rest for 5 minutes.
Do not rest your scalp for more than 5 minutes as apple cider vinegar is acidic and has the capacity to damage your hair too.
- Proceed to wash your hair.
In this brief article, we have answered the question, “What are the side effects of washing hair with apple cider vinegar?” and provided information on precautions to take while applying apple cider vinegar to hair, other ways to take them in, benefits of them as well as how to apply them to your hair.