In this brief blog we will answer the question,”What are the examples of unsaturated fats?” We will explain what unsaturated fats are and look at the main types. We will also discuss some tips for consuming a fat healthy diet.
What are the examples of unsaturated fats?
Some examples of dietary sources of unsaturated fats are olive oil, canola oil, peanut oil, avocados, seeds such as sesame and pumpkin seeds, nuts such as almonds, hazelnuts, fatty fish such as salmon, sardines and oysters among other foods.Unsaturated fats are also referred to as good fats and they are touted as fats that are healthy for human consumption.
We will look at more examples shortly, but first let’s get to learn what unsaturated fats are.
What are unsaturated fats?
Unsaturated fats are fats that are loosely packed and have more than one or more bonds .i.e double or triple bonds between their molecules. These types of fats tend to be liquid at room temp and can also occur in solid foods.
They are largely regarded as beneficial fats as they can help boost blood cholesterol levels and alleviate inflammation, stabilize heart rhythms among other vital roles in the body. They are largely contained in plant sources such as nuts, vegetable oils and seeds.
They are 2 key types of unsaturated fats which are Monounsaturated fats and Polyunsaturated fats.
Studies have linked consumption of monounsaturated fats from plant sources with numerous health benefits such as reducing the risk of heart related diseases and overall mortality.
Examples of rich sources of monounsaturated fats are;
- Olive oil, peanut oil and canola oil.
- Nuts such as hazelnuts, almonds and pecans.
- Seeds such as pumpkin and sesame seeds.
Polyunsaturated fats are required by the body to function. They usually assist with blood clotting as well as movement of the muscles. Polyunsaturated fats have to be derived from the diet as the body doesn’t make them.
These kinds of fats can further be categorized into 2 types which are Omega 3 and Omega 6 fatty acids. The omega 3 fatty acids are essential for good heart health. Some good sources of Omega 3 fatty acids are:
- Fatty fish such as salmon, sardines, tuna, trout, mackerel and herring
- Flaxseed oil and Ground flax
- Sunflower seeds
- Chia seeds
- Hemp seeds
On the other hand, good sources of Omega 6 fatty acids include:
Omega-6 fatty acids can be found in:
- sunflower oil
- canola oil
- walnut oil
- soybean oil
- safflower oil
- corn oil
You can read about some benefits of consuming unsaturated fats by clicking here.
What are some tips for consuming a fat healthy diet?
It is important to strike a balance of your of your dietary intake of fats and you can do this by ensuring the below:
- Opting for low fat milk instead of whole milk when it comes to dairy products and in meat selecting lean meat instead of fatty cuts of meat
- Taking precaution when it comes to foods that have claims of being low fat or fat-free. Most times such foods tend to have added sugars and refined carbs as a replacement. These ingredients are harmful to health as they can lead to increased calories intake with zero nutritional value.
- Going slow on processed foods as they are often high in sodium as well as trans fats
- Consuming healthy fats (unsaturated fats) such as avocados, sardines and walnuts because they have a lot of health benefits such as boosting the immune system, improving heart health and supporting the development of the brain.
In this brief blog we have tackled the query, ”What are the examples of unsaturated fats?” We have explained what unsaturated fats are and looked at the main types. We have also discussed some tips for consuming a fat healthy diet.
We hope you found this blog to be insightful. If you happen to have any questions and suggestions, feel free to leave them down below.