In this brief guide, we will address the query, “What are the different frostings for spice cake?” We will also discuss what are the ingredients required in each of these frosting and how we can prepare them.
What are the different frostings for spice cake?
Some of the commonly used frostings for spice cake are:
Brown butter frosting
You can make brown butter frosting with four simple ingredients: unsalted butter, sugar, milk, and vanilla extract. Avoid using salted butter since it gives your icing a salty flavor, and you don’t want your cake to taste salty.
- In a medium saucepan or skillet, melt the unsalted butter on medium heat.
- Continue heating until brown specks form at the bottom of the pan and the butter has completely melted giving a nutty aroma.
- Allow the brown butter to cool in a large mixing bowl for about an hour.
- For about a minute or two, whip the butter with an electric mixer on medium speed.
- Add the granulated sugar to the butter and slowly stir them until thoroughly blended.
- Stir in the vanilla and 2 tablespoons of milk as well.
- Blend the mixture until you get a smooth batter while adding the required amount of milk.
Cream cheese frosting
Cheese, butter, vanilla extract, and confectioner’s sugar are the main ingredients for cream cheese frosting.
- Cream cheese and butter should be combined until they give a fluffy and creamy consistency.
- Slowly whisk in the granulated sugar until they add to the creamy consistency.
- Add the vanilla extract to the mix and give it a good mix.
- If the frosting is too soft, you can place it in the refrigerator for 10 to 15 minutes to firm up before icing the cake.
Creamy caramel frosting
This one is a treat for caramel lovers. All you need is a cup of brown sugar, milk, butter, confectioner’s sugar, and vanilla extract.
- In a medium saucepan or skillet, combine the brown sugar, butter, and milk and let bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Cook and stir the mixture constantly for 2 minutes.
- Pour the mixture in a big heat safe bowl and add the vanilla extract and stir it properly.
- Let the mixture cool down a bit and gradually whisk in the confectioners’ sugar until the frosting is light and fluffy.
Maple frosting on top of spice cake is a rather interesting combination that goes perfectly well with the spicy flavors of the cake. All you need to prepare this frosting is some soft butter, maple syrup, vanilla extract, and confectioner’s sugar.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the butter, maple syrup, and vanilla extract until they give a light and fluffy consistency.
- Gradually add the confectioner’s sugar, while whisking well with each addition.
- Continue to do this until you get a soft and creamy consistency and your frosting is ready to be added to the cake.
Brown sugar frosting
It is one of the easiest and probably the most used frosting on spice cakes. Not just spice cakes, you can use this icing on basically every dessert out there and it will blend in like magic. The ingredients required to prepare brown sugar frosting are: brown sugar, heavy cream, confectioner’s sugar, milk, butter, and vanilla extract.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter and mix in the brown sugar while cooking and stirring continuously for a minute. Make sure you cook it in medium heat to avoid burning the sugar.
- Add the heavy cream and stir it for another 2 minutes until you get a smooth caramel-like consistency.
- Remove the mixture from the heat and add the vanilla extract.
- Pour it into a big heat safe mixing bowl and stir in the powdered sugar.
- Add 1 to 2 teaspoons of milk at a time while giving the mixture a good mix after each addition.
- Repeat this process until the frosting is light, fluffy, and spreadable.
For more spice cake frosting recipes, please click the link here.
In this brief guide, we have addressed the query, “What are the different frostings for spice cake?” We have also discussed what are the ingredients required in each of these frosting and how we can prepare them.