Is periwinkle blue or purple?
In this brief article, we will answer the question, “Is periwinkle blue or purple?” and provide information on how to make Periwinkle in paints, some shades of Periwinkle as well as some colors that can go well with Periwinkle.
Is periwinkle blue or purple?
Periwinkle is a mixture of both blue and purple. The base color of the periwinkle is blue whereas it can have slight tones of purple. Periwinkle can also be called Indigo. Some however claim that Periwinkle is a mix of blue and lavender.
Periwinkle color is derived from a plant named Catharanthus roseus. The flowers that come on these plants are called Periwinkle.
How can you make Periwinkle in paints?
If you wish to prepare periwinkle, you can add a bit of white to red to give it a pale pink color. Once the pink color is obtained, add slight touches of blue to obtain a slight lavender-like shade. You can even add violet instead of blue too.
However, be careful to not add too much blue. Excess addition of blue can give a sapphire blue or a cornflower color. Excess addition of violet can give the color a dark shade of violet instead of periwinkle.
You can also check for the CMYK color model to make periwinkle. CMYK consists of four major colors cyan, magenta, yellow, and key (black).
What are some shades of Periwinkle?
- True Periwinkle is the actual Periwinkle color. It is a darker shade and contains slight tones of purple.
- Lavender blue can be considered a lighter shade of periwinkle.
- Dark periwinkle is a darker and brighter shade of a periwinkle. The darker version has more tones of indigo.
- Deep periwinkle is also a darker shade of periwinkle but it is comparatively duller than dark periwinkle. It can have slight tones of gray.
- Light periwinkle is the lightest of periwinkle shades. It is lighter than Lavender blue too.
- Very Peri blue is a shade of Periwinkle that has more blue tones. If you want a moderately dark version of Periwinkle, you can go with this shade.
- Very Peri gray is a Periwinkle shade with visible grayish tones. Unlike deep periwinkle in which gray is not much visible, Very Peri gray has a visible grayish tint.
- Very Peri Tint is a Periwinkle shade with greenish hues. The green observed here has a light minty color.
- Pale lavender is a Periwinkle color with lesser blue shades. It has light purplish tones.
- Dull periwinkle is another shade that goes well with other Periwinkle shades. It has slight grayish tones.
- Periwinkle powder is a softer version of True Periwinkle. It can be used for a nursery or other rooms to give them a softer touch.
- Lavender Shadow is a darker and brighter shade of Lavender. It is the complete opposite of Periwinkle powder.
Which colors can pair well with Periwinkle?
If you want a neutral room or painting, it would be best to go with black, white, or gray. In the case of a painting, it is better to not use too much black with Periwinkle as black has a tendency to overpower other colors that they are mixed with.
Some colors that can go well with Periwinkle are given below:
- Navy is a color that can go well with Periwinkle. Navy can compliment Periwinkle and does not overpower it like black. It can make your rooms appear more elegant and sophisticated.
- Mint green is another color that can go well with Periwinkle. Mint green has shades of green and this cool color can go well with the warm Periwinkle.
- Sage green is a grayish-green color that can go well with Periwinkle. Sage green has an earthy and natural look that can make your room or area appear more natural. Pairing them with a Periwinkle can make your room appear more elegant.
- Yellow and Periwinkle can go well with each other. They can look especially good in objects like baskets or blankets. Some also love to pair yellow and periwinkle in interior designs.
- Silver can be another color that can go well with Periwinkle. Both silver and periwinkle can make your room appear more classy and luxurious.
What does Periwinkle represent?
Periwinkle can represent beauty and optimism. Periwinkle is often associated with femininity too. As a result, you might find many bridesmaid’s dresses having shades of Periwinkle.
Periwinkle can invoke calmness, optimism, and hope in people. It is associated with Virgin Mary. As a result, Periwinkle can represent innocence, purity, and elegance too.
In this brief article, we have answered the question, “Is periwinkle blue or purple?” and provided information on how to make Periwinkle in paints, some shades of Periwinkle as well as some colors that can go well with Periwinkle.