In this brief article, we will answer the question, “Is jackfruit healthy?” and provide information on the benefits of consuming jackfruit, its side effects as well as how you can eat jackfruit.
Is jackfruit healthy?
Yes, jackfruit is healthy. Jackfruit is usually grown in southern parts of India. It is larger in size and can have outer skin that is either green or yellow in color.
Jackfruit is a powerhouse of nutrients. It contains a good amount of calories, protein, fiber, vitamin A, vitamin C, riboflavin, magnesium, potassium, copper, and manganese. Compared to other fruits, the protein content in jackfruit is higher, standing at 3 grams.
What exactly is jackfruit?
Jackfruit is a fruit native to India and Srilanka. A single jackfruit can weigh around 40 pounds or more. There are 2 kinds of jackfruit present. One kind of jackfruit seems to be of a higher quality wherein the other kind of jackfruit seems to be spongey and has a sweeter taste.
Jackfruit can be stringy and sticky too. Ripe jackfruit has a sweet flavor whereas the unripe jackfruit tastes neutral. It smells like a mix of pineapple and banana when ripe.
What are some benefits of consuming jackfruit?
- Jackfruit can help in blood sugar control. The fiber present in jackfruit can slow down the sudden rise in glucose levels.
Jackfruit contains protein. Protein can also prevent blood sugar levels from rising. Jackfruit extract can also prevent blood sugar levels from peaking quickly.
A study conducted on diabetic mice found that jackfruit leaf extract helped in modulating blood glucose levels. The antioxidants present in jackfruit can further balance blood glucose levels.
- Jackfruit contains a lot of antioxidants that can protect your cells against oxidative stress. Inflammation can be further reduced after the consumption of jackfruits. Jackfruits contain vitamin C, flavonoids, and carotenoids.
Vitamin C can provide protection against heart diseases and cancer. Carotenoids can further lower Type-2 diabetes and cardiovascular diseases. Carotenoids and vitamin C are present in jackfruit.
Flavonoids present in jackfruit can contain anti-inflammatory properties. It can further reduce blood pressure, sugar, and cholesterol levels.
- Jackfruits contain vitamins A and C which can help to boost immunity. Consumption of this fruit can further reduce the risk of developing viral infections.
- Jackfruits contain vitamin C which can aid in improving skin health. It can lower the aging of the skin and promote youthfulness.
- Jackfruit contains a good amount of fiber, antioxidants, and potassium. This can bring down the risk of developing cardiovascular issues.
- As jackfruit contains fiber, it can aid in reducing symptoms of constipation. You would also feel full for a longer time.
- Jackfruit has anti-inflammatory properties. Its consumption can reduce the risk of developing ulcers.
- Jackfruit can also help in reducing blood pressure.
What are some side effects of eating jackfruit?
Some individuals who are allergic to birch pollen might be allergic to eating jackfruit. Jackfruit has the ability to lower blood sugar levels. However, eating excessive levels of jackfruit can cause an increase in blood sugar levels.
How can you eat jackfruit?
Jackfruit can be versatile. As a result, you can eat them in a raw or cooked form. You can cut the jackfruit in half and remove the core, seeds, and skin. You can use a knife for this purpose.
Jackfruit has a white sticky part. This can cause your hands to become sticky. As a result, it would be better to use a knife to slice jackfruit as well as wear some gloves.
Jackfruit can be added to both sweet and savory-based items. The sweetness of jackfruit can make them an essential component in sweet dishes. Unripe jackfruit can be added to spicy or savory dishes.
Jackfruit can be added to curries or soups. You can also slice them into chunks and add them to oatmeal or yogurt.
You can rub your hands with cooking oil if jackfruit seems to stick to your hands. If you have removed jackfruit chunks, boil them in salted water till they become softer. You can then roast them like chestnuts.
Canned jackfruits might also be available in some stores. You can also find them decorated with BBQ or teriyaki sauce.
How to store jackfruit?
If you do not plan on eating the jackfruit up, it would be better not to slice them and open them. You can instead keep them at room temperature for many days.
However, once a jackfruit is cut open, it is important to store them in the fridge. This is because they can go brown quickly. It can last for 5-6 weeks in the fridge.
In this brief article, we have answered the question, “Is jackfruit healthy?” and provided information on the benefits of consuming jackfruit, its side as well as how you can eat jackfruit.