Is cod a good fish to eat?
This fish blog will answer the major question, “Is cod a good fish to eat?” we will also discuss the major health benefits of consuming cod fish for you, the major health hazards of consuming cod fish for you, and how you can cook cod fish at home for yourself.
Is cod a good fish to eat?
Yes, cod fish is good to eat. Cod fish has many health benefits, it has omega-3 fatty acids which help to reduce unwanted inflammation, and phosphorus which helps to make the bone and teeth strong. Although it has parasites that lower its consumption.
What are the health benefits of consuming cod fish?
Following are the health benefits of consuming cod fish for you:
Omega-3 fatty acids are present in cod fish
The first benefit is the omega-3 fatty acids which are healthy for those who are suffering from heart disease. Healthy fatty acids like omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids can reduce the unwanted inflammatory process in the body which can reduce the risk of heart diseases in the body.
Omega-3 fatty acids also protect the body from oxidants which can cause oxidation of the cells of the body leading to cancer of the cells in the body.
B vitamins are present in cod fish
The next health benefit is cod fish has several B vitamins in it including the vitamin B6, B9, and B12. These vitamins are involved in various processes in the body. Vitamin B6 and B9 are involved in red blood cell production and brain health.
Vitamin B12 is involved in red blood cells and DNA production in the body. If you are suffering from anemia then you can consume vitamin B12 which will increase red blood cell production and will lower the deficiency of oxygen in the body.
Minerals are also present in cod fish
Following are the essential minerals present in cod fish:
- The first mineral is phosphorus which is required for healthy bones and teeth. Phosphorus and calcium both are involved in improving bone density which can help to protect the bones from damage such as fractures.
- Phosphorus is also involved in cell membrane integrity of the cells in the body, especially red blood cells. If there is a deficiency of phosphorus in the body, it can lead to lysis of the red blood cells in the body which leads to blood in the urine.
- The next mineral is selenium which is involved in healthy brain activity. It is also involved in the production of DNA in the body. It also protects the DNA in the body from the damaging free radicals that gain entry into the body.
Lean protein is present in cod fish
The last thing about cod fish is it has lean protein in it which can charge the body and help the body to build more and more muscles. Protein also acts as a source of energy for the body. If the body runs out of carbohydrates and fats, it shifts itself to protein but it can lead to the wastage of muscles.
What are the major health hazards of consuming codfish?
Following are the potential hazards of consuming cod fish:
- The first health hazard is the parasites that live in the cod fish. If the cod fish is not properly cooked then it can have various parasites that can cause stomach upset and can lead to dehydration, abdominal pain, and diarrhea in the body.
- The next health hazard is the mercury level in cod fish which is not suitable for pregnant women to consume. It can cause brain damage in the newborn baby of the family.
- The next health hazard is the bacteria that reside in the cod fish. If you half cook a cod fish then you might contract some of the bacteria such as salmonella and E.coli which are able to cause bloody diarrhea in you and your pets.
How can you cook cod fish for yourself?
You can bake, grill or roast the cod fish for yourself. It is important for you to understand that there should be a balance of ingredients in it. First, you need to buy a healthy cod fish that has low mercury levels and is fresh.
After that, you have to cut it to check for any internal parasites. Wash it well and then boil it. Add the required ingredients in it and please fully cook the cod fish before eating it.
In this fish blog, we answered the major question, “Is cod a good fish to eat?” we also discussed the major health benefits of consuming cod fish, the major health hazards of consuming cod fish, and how you can cook cod fish at home for yourself.