In this brief article, we will answer the question, “Is carrot cake healthy?” and provide information on whether a carrot cake is better than a fruit cake, how to make carrot cake healthier as well as how to prepare them.
Is carrot cake healthy?
No, carrot cake is not healthy. This is because it contains lots of sugar and cream. Even though carrot cake has carrots, a single slice of carrot cake can have calories between 300-400 kcals.
Is carrot cake better than fruit cake?
No, carrot cake is not better than fruit cake. Carrot cake contains more saturated fat levels than fruit cake as it has frosting. This is because the frosting of carrot cake is typically prepared from the cream cheese.
On the other hand, carrot cake does not contain much fiber either. This does not make it very filling.
Carrot cake is a good source of vitamin A or beta carotene. Beta carotene present in carrot cakes can come from carrots. A single slice can give 4 times the required amount of vitamin A. It has potassium too
Fruit cake contains lesser sugar compared to carrot cake. It has more natural sugars due to the presence of fruits present in them.
Fruits also provide a good amount of fiber which can help fill your stomach quickly. As a result, you are less likely to consume more slices of fruit cake.
Apart from this, as fruits are a good source of potassium, they can aid in reducing blood pressure. The addition of dry fruits to fruit cake can give a little bit of iron.
How can you make carrot cake healthier?
Some ways to make carrot cake a bit more delicious are given below:
- You can add a few fruit pieces to improve the flavor and nutritional value of carrot cake. As a result, you might not have to add a lot of sugar to make the cake sweeter. Adding a few dry fruits can help too.
- For a sweeter flavor, add crushed or sliced pineapple slices to the cake mixture. Pineapples contain a good amount of fiber and antioxidants. Apart from this, raisins, prune, and applesauce can be a good addition as well.
- You can try using whole wheat flour for preparing carrot cake instead of refined flour. This can give a little bit of fiber to the carrot cake. Using refined flour can reduce the amount of fiber.
- Substitute yogurt for cream frosting. Yogurt contains a good amount of probiotics which can improve your gut immunity. It can contribute a bit of protein. Instead of yogurt, you can also add a bit of coconut cream or soy cream as well.
- The addition of nuts can help in improving the flavor of cake too. Walnuts can be a good option as they are high in Omega-3 and fiber. Omega-3 can reduce inflammation and fiber can promote satiety.
Nuts also contain a good amount of protein. All this can further promote satiety. This can prevent overeating.
- If you wish to prepare a gluten-free cake, you can opt to prepare the cake using almond flour.
If you wish to make the cake vegan, you can replace the eggs added to the cake with a mixture of flax seeds and water.
How to prepare carrot cake?
- Preheat the oven to a temperature of 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Meanwhile grease a baking tray with butter.
- Grate 2 carrots. Keep the grated carrots on top of a towel so that the excess moisture present in them gets evaporated.
- Add the grated carrots to a bowl. Add 1 cup of whole wheat flour, ½ cup of brown sugar, 1 tsp baking powder, ⅛ tsp salt, ⅓ cup of raisins, and 1 tsp cinnamon. Mix them well.
- In another bowl, mix ¼ cup of unflavored applesauce, 2 eggs, 1 tsp vanilla extract, ¼ cup of almond milk, and ¼ cup of honey. Mix well.
- Slowly add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Mix properly. Now, add coconut oil. Mix well again.
- After mixing the batter add them inside a battered pan. In a baking pan, add the batter and then bake the mixture for a period of 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 25-30 minutes.
- For preparing the cream frosting, mix ½ cup of cream cheese, ½ cup of yogurt, and 2 tbsp of maple syrup over the cake. You can add the frosting over the cake after it cools.
Keep the baked cake out of the oven and allow them to cool before applying frosting over them.
In this brief article, we have answered the question, “Is carrot cake healthy?” and provided information on whether carrot cake is better than a fruit cake, how to make carrot cake healthier as well as how to prepare them.