In this brief article, we will answer the question, “Is bottled water distilled?” and provide information on what exactly is distilled water, some kinds of distilled water, benefits as well as disadvantages of consuming them.
Is bottled water distilled?
No, bottled water is not distilled. This is because bottled water undergoes the process of filtration. Water that undergoes distillation does not have any minerals present in them. However, bottled water contains minerals. As a result, bottled water is not distilled.
What exactly is distilled water?
Distilled water undergoes a purification process. It does not contain any impurities, ionic compounds, microbes, or mineral salts.
Distillation is done after heating the water past its boiling point. After this, the vaporization process can occur. The vapor collected is then converted back into liquid. Only the impurities are left behind which makes distilled water pure and free of any impurities.
What are some kinds of bottled water?
There are 3 kinds of bottled water. These categories were determined by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Some kinds of distilled water are given below:
- Spring water can be the most common kind of bottled water. Water can pass through the aquifer before reaching the surface. There are many trace minerals and electrolytes added to the aquifer.
Spring water can be considered to be the best for hydration. Spring water goes through a lot of filtration processes. However, the filtration process is done to help in removing the debris present in them and it does not remove the minerals present in them.
- Mineral water is another kind of bottled water. Mineral water passes through the rocks which makes them a rich source of minerals. It also contains essential minerals like magnesium, calcium, and zinc.
Apart from this, mineral water also contains chloride, acetate, fluoride, and sulfate. The trace minerals present in mineral water should be 250 ppm. Mineral water can be filtered to remove iron, arsenic, and sulfur.
- Purified drinking water can be another kind of bottled water. Purified drinking water undergoes a purification process to remove some impurities.
Purified water is further classified into deionized water and demineralized water. Purified is usually not recommended for drinking as they are nutritionally deficient.
The minerals are added to purified water before they are bottled. Purified water undergoes a distillation process but it cannot be called distilled as the water is not 100 percent pure.
In spite of the filtration process, there can still be some contaminants present in Purified water.
Purified water can contain high levels of fluoride. This can be specially added to public drinking water sources like taps. Excessive fluoride can affect memory, learning, and cognition.
What are some benefits of drinking distilled water?
Some of the benefits of drinking distilled water are as follows:
- There are no contaminants present in distilled water. Distilled water does not contain any bacteria, debris, or pesticides.
- People with low immunity can consume distilled water. Individuals suffering from HIV or AIDS can increasingly become sick after consuming water containing impurities. However, they do not need to worry about becoming sick after taking in distilled water.
- The distillation process can also help in the removal of chlorine from water. The presence of chlorine can affect the taste of water. Removal of chlorine can make the water taste better.
What are some disadvantages of consuming distilled water?
Some disadvantages of consuming distilled water are as follows:
- Distilled water does not contain any contaminants. However, distilled water is devoid of any minerals and electrolytes.
Reduced mineral and electrolyte count is not beneficial for health. For instance, low calcium and magnesium levels can weaken your bones.
- Distilled water does not contain fluoride. As a result, individuals who regularly consume distilled water have a high risk of developing cavities.
- As distilled water does not contain any minerals, it might taste bland to some people.
Should you consume purified water instead of regular water?
It is better to consume purified water than regular water. This is because even though regular water might not contain contaminants, human activity can end up making them contaminated.
An in-home purification system can be installed at your home. Individuals who have a weak immune system can benefit from a purified water system being installed in homes. Apart from this, household treatment units can also aid in purifying water.
However, if the public drinking water in your country is safe enough to be consumed, you can avoid installing a purification system. You can check the quality of your tap water by purchasing a home test kit.
In this brief article, we have answered the question, “Is bottled water distilled?” and provided information on what exactly is distilled water, some kinds of distilled water, benefits as well as disadvantages of consuming them.