In this brief article, we will answer the question, “Is 17 percent body fat ideal for men?” and provide information on how to reduce body fat percentage.
Is 17 percent body fat ideal for men?
Yes, 17 percent body fat is ideal for men. An average man is supposed to have 18 to 24 percent body fat. However, if the man has 15 to 17 percent body fat, he is likely to be fit. Men who have less than 18 percent body fat are likely to have more muscles in their bodies.
On the other hand, individuals who have 6 to 13 percent body fat have much higher muscle content in their bodies.
How to obtain a lower body fat percentage?
Exercise and diet are important factors to obtain a lower body fat percentage. Individuals who have 6 to 13 percent body fat can follow a strict diet with workout protocols.
However, individuals who are at 15 to 17 percent of body fat might not be following a very strict diet or workout lesser.
Some of the ways to lose body fat are given below:
- Strength training can be one of the ways to lose body fat. According to multiple studies, strength training constantly for 4 weeks helped to reduce body fat by at least 1.4 percent.
In adolescents, it was observed that strength training was more effective in reducing body fat than aerobic exercise alone. Resistance training was also shown to boost metabolism.
- Consuming protein-rich foods can be another way to reduce body fat percentage. Some foods that are high in protein are eggs, meat, seafood, tofu, dairy, cheese, milk, and legumes.
Increasing protein intake can also aid in promoting satiety. It can also decrease hunger and thus promotes weight loss. Besides, eating enough protein can prevent muscle breakdown which can be observed during weight loss.
- Getting enough sleep is another way to ensure that you lose body fat. Improper sleep habits can stimulate the hunger hormone. This can cause an individual to binge eat which can further promote weight gain and increase body fat percent.
In a study, it was observed that women who get less than an hour of sleep had difficulty losing weight compared to others who had sufficient sleep. At least 7 hours of sleep is required for effective weight loss.
- It is important to consume healthier fats. In a study, it was observed that individuals who consumed a Mediterranean diet were able to easily lose fat compared to a traditional fat loss diet.
Trans fats are commonly found in fried, baked, or processed foods. This can make it difficult to lose fat.
Apart from this, it is important to consume healthier oils. Some of the healthier oils that can be consumed include canola oil, rice bran oil, groundnut oil, mustard oil, and olive oil.
- Make sure to consume water or unsweetened drinks. Water can help in promoting satiety and reduce food intake.
Sweetened drinks like soda or other juices contain a lot of calories. This can make it difficult to lose body fat if you consume them.
You can also consume broths or green tea. Green tea contains caffeine that can help to reduce body fat. The antioxidants present in green tea can help to reduce weight too.
- Fiber can also help in losing weight. Fiber can promote satiety which can reduce appetite. Fiber is present in veggies, fruits, whole grains, whole pulses, nuts, and seeds.
Fiber can reduce body fat percentage too as the individual starts to consume lesser portion sizes of food too.
- Opt to consume whole grains instead of refined carbs. The refined grains do not contain any bran or germ. This makes them low in fiber. Apart from this, refined carbs have a higher glycemic index which can increase glucose levels.
Consuming a diet high in whole grains is associated with a reduced body mass index and a smaller waist circumference.
- Indulging in aerobic exercises can help to lose weight. There are multiple studies linking cardio to reduced waist circumference in men. It is important to indulge in an exercise of 20-30 minutes. Some of the human exercises are running, cycling, and swimming.
- Probiotics can be added to the diet too. Probiotics can help in long-term weight gain. Probiotics can be consumed through food and supplements. Individuals who consumed probiotics had a lower body fat percentage and Body Mass Index (BMI).
Probiotic foods like kefir, kombucha, tempeh, and sauerkraut can be consumed. Besides, probiotics can strengthen the gut as well.
In this brief article, we have answered the question, “Is 17 percent body fat ideal for men?” and provided information on how to reduce body fat percentage.