In this brief article, we will answer the question, “How to lose 1 percent body fat?” and provide information on how to determine weight loss as well as tips to reduce 1 percent body fat.
How to lose 1 percent body fat?
To lose 1 percent body fat, you have to regulate your diet and exercise. Before that, check your body fat percentage. It would give an idea of the amount of fat that you need to lose.
The normal body fat levels for women should be 25 to 31 percent whereas for men the body fat percentage is 18 to 21 percent.
How to determine the weight to lose?
Check body fat percentage. The formula given by the American Council of Exercise is: Desired body weight= present lean body mass/ (1- desired body fat percent in decimal form).
Lean body mass can be between 60 to 90 percent of your weight. So for a woman who has 32 percent body fat, the lean mass would be 69 percent (69/100= 0.69)
If you are a woman who weighs 142 pounds with a body fat percentage of 32 percent and wishes to reduce it to 31, multiply 142 by 0.69 (percent lean body mass) to get a lean body weight: 142 x 0.69= 97.9 pounds.
Now, you need to determine your desired weight. Divide 97.9 pounds by 0.7 (0.7 is obtained by subtracting 1 from desired body fat percent). So the equation is: 97.9/ 0.7= 139.8 pounds = rounded off to 140 pounds.
As the person currently weighs 142 pounds, they need to lose weight and bring them down to 140 pounds to reduce body weight by 1 percent.
What are some tips to reduce 1 percent body fat?
- Reduce the number of calories that you consume. Restricting calories by restricting the portion sizes of food can work.
For each pound of weight loss, there has to be a deficit of calories. So, if you consume less amount of 500 calories, you would be able to lose weight.
If you order food in a restaurant, make sure to order small or medium sizes of food. Do not indulge in fat diets. Another tip is to eat on a smaller plate. This can prevent you from eating too much food.
- Consuming enough protein is important to losing weight. Protein helps in providing satiety. Protein can be obtained from lean meat, pulses, seafood, eggs, soy, dairy, and peas.
If you are unable to obtain protein in sufficient amounts naturally, you can try taking protein powders or drinks. However, do not consume more protein than required as protein can be deposited as fat.
If you weigh 50 kgs, the amount of protein required is only 50 grams. Do not go overboard with protein unless you are an athlete or planning to build muscles.
- Consume fiber. Fiber is found in whole cereals, whole pulses, fruits, veggies, and nuts. Fiber can give you satiety and prevent overeating.
Besides, meals containing fiber can prevent blood glucose levels from rising. This can be beneficial especially if you are a diabetic patient.
- Make sure to indulge in some aerobic exercises to lose weight. Some of the aerobic exercises that can be tried out include cycling, swimming, walking, dancing, etc. You can also play sports like basketball which can make losing weight an enjoyable process.
Apart from this, you can indulge in HIIT (High-Intensity Interval Training) exercises which can be a combination of short and intense workouts. HIIT can last for 20 minutes. However, if you plan on indulging in aerobic exercises, do them for 30 minutes.
Resistance training exercises are also beneficial and help to lose fat. They train the core muscles of your body. Indulge in strength training exercises at least twice a week.
- Consume good fat. Good fat can be found in nuts, seeds, and fatty fish. Fatty fish contains Omega-3 which is anti-inflammatory in nature. Omega-3 is found in walnuts, seeds, and fishes like salmon, mackerel, sardines as well as tuna.
Apart from this oil, Monounsaturated fats (MUFA) can be found in nuts, avocados, and seeds. They can also be found in canola oil, rice bran oil, mustard oil, peanut oil, soybean oil, and olive oil.
- Opt to consume low-fat foods. For instance, you can consume low-fat milk instead of whole milk.
You can also switch to consuming plant-based milk as they contain lesser fat and calories compared to whole milk. However, go for unflavored plant milk.
In this brief article, we have answered the question, “How to lose 1 percent body fat?” and provided information on how to determine weight loss as well as tips to reduce 1 percent body fat.