In this brief guide, we will address the query, “how often do box turtles eat?” We will also discuss what are the basic cares for your box turtles and how much you need to feed them daily.
How often do box turtles eat?
Depending on the age of your turtle, is the amount of food you need to provide them. If your box turtles are young, you need to feed them every other day. Once they have reached adulthood, they need to eat full meals every 2 to 3 days.
However, these recommendations can vary depending on several factors like:
- Body weight.
Box turtles are popular pets among kids, as they are small in size and do not require a big space or large meals. However, this does not mean that they do not require any special care. In order to enlarge their lifespan, you need to follow certain guidelines.
What do box turtles eat?
Box turtles are common pets, so many people have them in their homes. However, indeed, there is not enough information about what is the proper diet for these tiny creatures.
Box turtles need to have a rich and balanced diet, they are omnivores, and it is recommended to feed them with fresh veggies and some other sources of low-fat protein. Some of the veggies and fruits that box turtles love the most are the ones with bright colors, like
- Red bell peppers.
The most common sources of protein recommended for these animals are:
- Low-fat dog food (yep, it works for turtles).
Also, do not forget about providing them with fresh water and food daily, this will help you to keep your box turtles healthy and with a good appetite. You can also provide them with supplements, especially phosphorus.
Are box turtles good pets?
Although box turtles are considered the perfect pets for children, this might be not entirely true. Box turtles need different requirements, first, their environment should be cleaned weekly, otherwise, your house might end up smelling bad.
Another factor that makes box turtles not suitable for children is that they stress easily, and they do not like to be handled by people, which kids love to do. If your turtle is subjected to a lot of anxiety, it will end up biting, which can cause severe damage.
Also, you should know that in North America, box turtles are a threatened species, so the only way to have them as pets is when they were raised in captivity.
If you want to learn more about box turtles, do not miss this article written by the Epidemiology Laboratory.
What are the basic cares for box turtles?
The basic guidelines for your turtle will depend on the type of box turtle you have, make sure to ask the veterinarian about the perfect environment for your new pet. Some of the most common suggestions to keep your turtles healthy are
- Provide them with a large enclosure. Most people tend to maintain their turtles in a small space, which can cause them to feel anxious.
- Enrich their environment. Make sure you include some places where your turtle can hide, and also some other items that help them not to be swimming the whole day. You can choose to keep outdoor and indoor, it is recommended to go with the first option.
- If you cannot keep them outdoors. Make sure that you provide them with a bigger space than the one of a glass tank. If you have children’s pools or a sandbox, they might be the best place to keep them.
- Make sure you keep a temperature that ranges from 70 to 90ªF. This range of temperature will help turtles to regulate their temperature.
- Clean all of the substrates used in their space. If you added some extra items to enrich their environment, make sure you change them regularly.
- Add some water for your turtle to soak in. This will give your turtle a sense of security that they will be thankful for.
How do you keep box turtles healthy?
As you have already read, it is not easy to keep turtles healthy, and even though it is not common, you should take your turtle to the veterinarian at least twice a year. If you want to keep your pet healthy, make sure you check for the following signs
- Do not forget about checking the health of your turtle, you must submit them to a physical examination at least twice a year.
- The veterinarians in charge of turtles are the ones that treat exotic pets.
- Examine your turtle’s feces daily to check for any parasites.
In this brief guide, we have addressed the query, “how often do box turtles eat?” We have also discussed what is the diet of these animals and other queries related to the subject at hand.
Hope you found this blog useful. If you have any questions, please let us know.