This brief article will answer the questions: how many calories should you eat per meal, which situations require you to eat many calories, which situations require you to eat low calories, what are calories, which foods are rich in calories, and which foods contain fewer calories.
How many calories should I eat for each meal?
Calories eaten in each meal vary depending on each individual’s needs. The estimated caloric intake is 350kcl for breakfast and 600kcal for lunch and dinner. For people trying to lose weight, their caloric content should be very little.
What situations require a lot of calories?
Young individuals between 3 years to 25 years require a lot of calories. This is because their body is growing and developing rapidly. Growth and development require a lot of nutrients and energy to help in cell division and synthesis of genetic material.
Women, especially young and pregnant women. They require high-caloric food as it stimulates the production of estrogen. This hormone leads to the development of features of a female. They are also used to provide energy during menses and pregnancy.
Underweight, lean individuals. These are naturally lean people who are struggling with weight gain. They are advised to take in large amounts of calories to aid them in creating body mass and also increase their fat content.
People recovering from various treatment methods such as chemotherapy and antiretroviral treatment. These treatments have adverse effects such as hair loss, weight loss, and loss of body fat. As they recover they are advised to eat high-calorie foods to boost their recovery.
Which situations require fewer calories?
People who are overweight and have certain diseases such as cancer, and high blood pressure are advised to use a low-calorie diet to reduce their weight. This is essential to enhance the treatment and control of the disease.
People who are obese. Obesity is the accumulation of excess fats under the skin and on organs. It is mainly treated by fasting and low-calorie diets. This stimulates the body to start synthesizing fats thus reducing body mass.
You can also calculate the calories you need here.
Which foods have a high-calorie content?
The following foods have a high calorie content. They also possess a high glycaemic index.
- Nuts are rich in fats and sugars. They have an average of at least 150kcal per nut. They include peanuts, cashew nuts, macadamia nuts, and many more.
- Avocados. They are rich in fats and omega-3 fatty acids.
- Eggs are a great source of proteins and cholesterol.
- Some dairy products such as cheese have a high caloric content.
- Dried fruits and berries.
- Chocolate. It is mainly found as confectionery and as a condiment that is used in cakes and in making tea.
- Chicken peas.
Which foods have a low-calorie content?
The following foods have low-calorie content. They also have a low glycaemic index. They include:
- Vegetables. Vegetables have a low-calorie content of less than 100kcal. They are also a great source of vitamins and minerals such as iron and zinc. They can be eaten raw, steamed, or fried.
- Fruits and smoothies. Smoothies are prepared by blending fruits and vegetables. Fruits are good snacks and are mostly eaten raw or dried.
- Bread and grains. They are a source of dietary fiber and are rich in carbohydrates.
- Meat. meat is a good source of proteins and also provides energy when eaten.
- Fats are alternative sources of energy and are healthier than most carb diets.
This brief article has answered the questions: how many calories should you eat per meal, which situations require you to eat many calories, which situations require you to eat low calories, what are calories, which foods are rich in calories, and which foods contain fewer calories.