In this brief guide, we will address the query, “how many calories should I eat a day to gain weight?” We will also discuss the healthy guidance to gain weight safely and quickly.
How many calories should I eat a day to gain weight?
The calories needed to gain weight will vary depending on how many calories your body burns. If you want to gain weight slowly, it is recommended to go about 300 to 500 calories per day above the maintenance level. If you want quicker results, go with 700 to 1000 calories.
Eating a bunch of junk food has indeed proven to be an easy way to gain weight, but you also put yourself at risk of various diseases, like diabetes and heart diseases. So, you need to change your approach.
To determine the calories for you to maintain your body, you need to visit a nutritionist that will take into consideration all of your habits, goals, and food preferences to provide you with the perfect meal plan.
Also, you need to exercise daily, sleep well, and try to reduce stress as much as you can. No wonder why it can be hard for people to reach their goals, right?
Is it safe to gain weight?
Putting on weight might be the goal of many people, there are different reasons for this behavior, such as
- Fast metabolism. People whose genetics determine their fat metabolism might be underweight, so they tend to look for ways to make up for that.
- Fitness goals. Increasing the intake of a certain food will help people to gain some muscle and have their ideal body.
People might have different goals regarding food, but they always need to be attended to by experts to avoid any disbalances that can affect your overall health. So, whenever you are looking to change your diet, it is better to ask your nutritionist before doing so.
How to gain weight safely?
Gaining weight can be easily done by eating junk food, but remember that is your health that is at risk. You can reach your goals without causing any discomfort to your body, make sure you attend to these suggestions.
- Care more about the quality of the food. We need to have a healthy and balanced diet that includes all of the nutrients, make sure you prioritize ingesting healthy food.
- Eat 3 to 5 meals a day. When your eating plan causes you to eat more calories, you might want to take it slow. It is better to portion your food into more meals to make this process easier.
- Prioritize weight training. If you eat more, you need to work out more too. Weight training will help you to gain muscle mass in the appropriate places.
- Add protein. Athletes care about their protein intake as it is helpful to gain muscle mass and keep a balanced diet. Eating properly will be enough, you do not need to take any protein supplements.
- Eat carbs and fat. These two groups are needed to increase your calorie intake. You need to be conscious about how you obtain these nutrients and prioritize quality before quantity. You can read more about this subject here.
Is it risky to be underweight?
Unfortunately, there is not enough awareness about the risks that being underweight has. Because of the society we live in, it is better seen to be underweight rather than overweight, but both of them can put you at risk.
Being underweight means that you have a body mass index (BMI) of under 18.5. You can easily calculate your BMI with a simple formula, be sure you know your weight in kilograms and your height in meters.
When people are underweight, different signs will let you know when something is going on, such as
- A weakened immune system.
If you want to get further guidance on this subject, make sure you check this article by NHS.
How long does it take to put on weight?
The time for each person will be different as our metabolism works differently, there are two common approaches when we want to gain weight.
First, if you want to take it easy, you can add about 300 to 500 extra calories per day, this will make you gain about 15 pounds in half a year. If you want faster results, go with 700 to 1000 extra calories daily, but this approach might cause you to have more fat than muscle.
In this brief guide, we have addressed the query, “how many calories should I eat a day to gain weight?” We have also discussed what is the safest and quickest way to gain weight and other queries related to the subject at hand.
Hope you found this blog useful. If you have any questions, please let us know.