In this article, we will answer the question “how many calories should a 14-year-old eat?”. We will also discuss the types of foods that give teenagers enough calories and also explain a good meal plan for a 14-year-old.
How many calories should a 14 year old eat?
A 14-year-old requires an average of 2000 calories intake in a day. For males it is slightly more at 2400 calories in a day. This depends on many factors.
Active teens need more calories than passive teens. Some teenage boys may need as many as 3,000 calories per day if they are very active, while some teenage girls may only need 1,800 calories if they are sedentary.
The amount of calories a teenager needs is affected by many factors, including their age, gender, height, weight, activity level, and whether or not they are growing.
- Age: Teenagers need more calories than younger children because they are growing and developing.
- Height: Taller teenagers need more calories than shorter teenagers because they have more body mass.
- Weight: Heavier teenagers need more calories than lighter teenagers because they have more body mass.
- Activity level: Teenagers who are more active need more calories than those who are less active because they burn more energy.
- Growth: Teenagers who are still growing need more calories than those who have stopped growing.
Which types of food give 14 years old enough calories?
- Whole grains: whole wheat bread, oatmeal, brown rice. Whole grains are a good source of calories for teenagers because they contain complex carbohydrates, which are slowly broken down and released into the bloodstream.
This provides a steady source of energy for physical activity and brain function. In addition, whole grains are a good source of fiber, which helps to keep the digestive system functioning properly.
- Fruits and vegetables: apples, bananas, carrots, broccoli
- Protein: lean meats, poultry, fish, beans, tofu. Proteins are an important source of calories for teenagers because they help to build and repair our bodies.
- Healthy fats: olive oil, nuts, seeds A teenager should avoid unhealthy fats and processed foods
Why do males 14 years old need more calories than females?
Males need more calories than females because they have more muscle mass. Muscle tissue burns more calories than fat tissue, so males need more calories to maintain their weight.
Another reason is that males have higher metabolism. Metabolism is the rate at which the body burns calories. Males typically have a higher metabolism than females, so they need more calories to keep their energy levels up.
Lastly, males may need more calories because they tend to be more active than females. Activity level plays a role in how many calories the body burns, so if males are more active, they may need more calories to maintain their weight.
What is an example of a good meal plan for a 14-year-old?
A healthy and balanced meal plan for a 14-year-old might include:
- Breakfast: 1 small banana, half cup of blueberries, half a cup of milk, and one oatmeal cup
- Lunch. Use one whole wheat bread to make a cheese sandwich with turkey -Add fruit of your choice mostly apples and one carrot stick
- Dinner. 1/2 grilled chicken breast -1/2 cup brown rice -1/2 roasted Brussels sprouts -1 small slice of pumpkin pie.
For more examples of meal plans for teenagers. Click here
How can an underweight 14 years old gain weight?
Adding in nutrient-dense foods: Foods that are high in calories but also packed with nutrients can help a teenager to gain weight without filling up on empty calories. Some examples include avocados, nuts, and seeds.
Eating more calories: This can be done by increasing the portion sizes of meals, eating more often throughout the day, or adding in high-calorie snacks.
Exercising less: If a teenager is very active, they may be burning off more calories than they are taking in. Reducing the amount of exercise they do can help them to gain weight.
Avoiding sugary drinks: Drinks like soda and juice can add a lot of calories without providing any nutrition. Switching to water or milk can help a teenager to gain weight without adding in empty calories.
In this brief article, we have answered the question “how many calories should a 14-year-old eat?” We have also discussed an example of a meal plan for a 14-year-old and how an underweight 14-year-old can gain weight
Hope you find this blog useful, in case of any questions, please let us know