In this brief article, we will answer the question, “How many bushels of corn per acre?” and provide information on how to calculate the number of corn kernels per bushel, which countries produce high levels of corn as well as some tips to improve corn yield.
How many bushels of corn per acre?
There are 177 bushels of corn per acre. This has been observed especially in the United States. However, in 2020, it was observed that there were 171 bushels per acre.
How to calculate the number of corn kernels per bushel?
If you wish to know the number of corn plants per bushel, check the number of rows in the cornfield. For instance, If there are 83.4 rows present, you will have to know the number of plants per acre.
For instance, if there are 22,000 plants per acre, divide 22,000 by 83.4 to get the number of corn plants per row. This can be 22,000/ 83.4= 263.5
Next, you would need to calculate the number of kernels per ear. Each corn plant can have one ear. If there are 500 corn plants present, there can be 500 ears present.
So, in one acre of land, the kernels produced can be calculated by multiplying plants present per acre by the number of corn kernel ears. 22,000 x 500= 11,000,000
To calculate the number of kernels in a bushel, check the bushels of corn per acre. For instance, if there are 135 bushels of corn per acre, divide the kernels produced by 1 acre of land with bushels of corn per acre. 11,000,000/ 135= 81481.48
In which countries is corn highly produced?
Corn can be largely produced in countries like the United States, China, Brazil, Argentina, Ukraine, and India.
The US is the highest producer of corn. It can be used as livestock. About 90 million acres of land in the US are used for corn production.
In China, around 260.8 million metric tons of corn are produced per year. As there is lesser support from the Chinese government towards the production of corn, the production is likely to reduce.
Brazil is the third producer of corn. Around 102 million tonnes of corn are produced domestically. Argentina produces 51 million metric tons of corn.
Ukraine can produce 35.9 million metric tons whereas India stands at 26 million metric tons of corn per year.
What are some tips to improve corn yields?
- Make sure to plant corn plants on time. The right time for planting is important. You can conduct proper tests on soil to see whether corn plants are suitable to be planted on the field.
- Seasonal rotation of plants is important. For instance, if you plant the same plants on the same soil, again and again, the yield is going to reduce. Corn should be planted only at certain times of the year.
In the meantime, you can try planting other alternative crops. For instance, soy can pair well with corn.
- Knowing the yield potential is very important. When looking at yield potential, it is important to know the seeds and the kind of crops that are being used. Once you know these two factors, yield potential can match your actual production.
- Check the condition of your soil. If you have excessive weed growth in the soil, the corn plant production can get affected. As a result, checking the soil for weeds is necessary.
- Check whether there are any water drainage issues. Plants should get enough water but should not be overwatered either.
Water accumulation can reduce waterlogging and prevent proper crop growth. It can weaken the roots of crops too. Thus, a proper drainage system is important.
- Add fertilizers to the soil. Plants need potassium, calcium, and phosphorus. Fertilizing crops can help in improving the yield of crops and aid in their growth too. Nitrogen fertilization can particularly improve the yield of corn.
- The proper quality of seeds is important. Hybrid seeds can improve the yield of crops.
- Timely pest management practices are important. Pest control can reduce the number of pests and increase yield.
- Plant spacing can improve the yield of the crops. Improper spacing can result in extreme losses in yields which can even go up to 4.7 bushels per acre. As a result, check the way you plant or hire only professional planters for purpose of planting crops.
In this brief article, we have answered the question, “How many bushels of corn per acre?” and provided information on how to calculate the number of corn kernels per bushel, which countries produce high levels of corn as well as some tips to improve corn yield.