In this brief article, we will answer the question, “How long is pizza good in the fridge?” and provide information on what would occur if pizza expires, how to store them, how to detect spoilage in them as well as how to reheat them.
How long is pizza good in the fridge?
Pizza can be good in the fridge for 3-4 days. The cheese and sauce added to the pizza can shorten its shelf life. Apart from this, the crust of the pizza can also make a difference.
If the crust of the pizza is thinner, it might last approximately for only 3 days whereas if the pizza has a thicker crust, it can last for 5-7 days.
Excessive toppings added to pizza can also shorten its shelf life. Plain pizza with cheese might last for only 2 days in the fridge. This is because it does not contain any additional ingredients or preservatives to extend its shelf life.
Pizzas prepared at home might last for 2-3 days. If the pizzas were bought from a restaurant, they might last for 4-5 days as there might be preservatives or additives added to extend their shelf life.
Frozen pizzas can come with an expiry date. As a result, it is important to check their expiry date and consume them on time to prevent wastage.
What occurs if you consume pizza past its expiry?
If pizza is consumed past its expiry, there is a risk of developing symptoms of food poisoning. Some of the symptoms of food poisoning are nausea, diarrhea, stomach pain, and vomiting.
Severe food poisoning symptoms can demand hospitalization.
How can you store pizza?
Some tips to store pizza are stated below:
- Pizzas need to be stored in the coldest part of the fridge. The back side of the fridge is quite cold. You can store the fridge there or even keep them in the fridge drawer.
- Store pizza in a sealed plastic bag. This can reduce its exposure to moisture or oxygen.
- Do not place pizza on the rack. This can cause them to become dry and tougher. Instead, keep the pizza on a plate or pan and then transfer them to the fridge.
If the pizza came in a box, keep them inside the box and then shift them to the fridge. Do not throw away the box.
- You can also keep the pizza in the freezer. Store them in a freezer bag before placing them inside the freezer.
- Do not leave the pizza for more than 2 hours at room temperature. It can become dry and unsuitable to eat.
How to detect spoilage in pizza?
You can look at the following steps to detect spoilage in pizza.
- Check the appearance of the pizza. If the pizza seems to appear discolored, it is better to not consume them. If there is mold formation on the pizza, discard them.
- Smelling the pizza can be another way to detect spoilage. If there is a bad odor coming from pizza, it is probably spoilt.
- If there is no difference in the appearance or smell of the pizza, you can taste a small piece of pizza. Do not swallow the pizza, if it has a bad taste. Instead, throw them away.
- Check the use-by date or expiry date stated on the pizza. If the pizza has passed the use-by or expiry date, it is better to not consume them even if the pizza appears to be good.
How to reheat pizza?
The techniques to reheat pizza are given below:
- Place the pizza in the oven for reheating them. You would need to first preheat the oven to a temperature of 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
After the oven has been preheated, place the pizza on an oven-safe plate and heat them. You can also place pizza in the overhead broiler so that the crust becomes golden brown.
- Microwaving the pizza can be another way to reheat them. Do not heat pizza for more than 15-20 seconds as it is likely to become tough and rubbery.
Also, make sure to use a microwave-safe plate for reheating the pizza. Do not reheat pizza containing too many toppings in the microwave, as the toppings can get soggy.
- You can heat pizza on the stovetop as well. Just place the pizza on the pan under medium heat. Do not keep the pizza slice for a long time in pan as the pizza can end up being burnt.
In this brief article, we have answered the question, “How long is pizza good in the fridge?” and provided information on what would occur if pizza expires, how to store them, how to detect spoilage in them as well as how to reheat them.