In this short article, we will answer the question “How long is egg salad good for?”, will teach you how to prepare it, and how to make a healthier version of it.
How long is egg salad good for?
Egg salad is good and safe to eat for 5 days if it has been properly preserved in the refrigerator in a sealed container.
Can I freeze egg salad?
No, egg salad does not freeze well.
How do you prepare egg salad?
Egg salad can be prepared in different ways, but the traditional recipe is this one
- 8 eggs
- ½ cup of mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon of yellow mustard
- ¼ cup of chopped green onion
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ teaspoon of paprika
Method of preparation:
- Put an egg in a pan and pour cold water over it.
- Once the water has reached a rolling boil, turn off the heat. For 10 to 12 minutes, cover the eggs and let them sit in hot water.
- Take out of the hot water, let cool, peel, and chop.
- Add the mayonnaise, mustard, and green onion to a bowl with the diced eggs.
- Add paprika, salt, and pepper to taste.
- Serve with your preferred bread or crackers after stirring.
What type of mayonnaise should I use for egg salad?
This is unquestionably one of the key components of this recipe. In this manner, we advise utilising premium mayonnaise.
The handmade version is always better for me since it tastes better. However, I advise against using egg-based mayonnaise if you decide to keep it out of the fridge for a few hours before serving. In that case, the recipe for milk mayonnaise is a fantastic choice.
Here’s a recipe for a homemade mayonnaise:
- 1 egg
- 2 yolks
- 2 tablespoons vinegar (or lemon juice)
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard (optional)
- 300 ml oil (about 1 ¼ cup (tea))
- salt to taste
Method of preparation:
- Before starting the preparation, put the oil in the fridge and leave it for at least 15 minutes – the cold oil emulsifies the mayonnaise better.
- In a small bowl, crack the egg and transfer it to the blender.
- Add the egg yolks, mustard, and vinegar and season with a pinch of salt.
- Cover and beat just to mix.
- Open only the central lid of the blender and partially cover the opening with a dish towel – the mayonnaise can splatter at the beginning of the preparation.
- Start beating, remove the cloth and add the oil in a thin stream, very slowly, until the mayonnaise is firm – the amount of oil needed may be less depending on the size of the eggs. Attention: if you add the oil all at once, the mayonnaise may curdle.
- Transfer the mayonnaise to an airtight glass jar and keep it in the fridge for up to 3 days.
What can substitute the mayonnaise in egg salad?
If you don’t like mayonnaise, ricotta cream or even cream cheese can be used in place of the mayonnaise. Making a rich tofu cream is another excellent choice.
Is egg salad healthy?
No, not so much. Eggs are healthy but egg salad combines eggs with mayonnaise, and people usually eat it with bread. The several eggs, salt, and mayonnaise that are combined with bread are high in calories and saturated fat.
How can I make the egg salad healthier?
We can reduce the calories and fat content of egg salad without compromising any of its flavours using a few straightforward methods. Our ruses are very easy:
Get rid of half the eggs.
Start with 8 eggs for 4 servings the next time you prepare egg salad and remove or set aside half of the yolks. You can cut 2 grammes of saturated fat plus 59 calories from each serving by not using 4 yolks.
Reduce the sauce.
Try combining 3 tablespoons of nonfat yoghurt and low-fat mayo, along with 1/4 teaspoon of pepper and 1/8 teaspoon of salt, as an alternative to just using plain mayonnaise (this is for 4 servings).
The end product has 115 fewer calories and 2 grammes less saturated fat per serving, yet still tastes just as fantastic as the original egg salad.
Egg salad has a beautiful texture when raw vegetables like carrots, cucumber or celery are included, and even better, you get additional fibre as a result, making the entire meal substantial.
In this short article, we answered the question “How long is egg salad good for?”, we taught you how to prepare it, and how to make a healthier version of it.