How long does it take to pass a dental crown after swallowing?

In this short article, we will provide an answer to the question “How long does it take to pass a dental crown after swallowing?” and the information on handling this situation carefully.

How long does it take to pass a dental crown after swallowing?

The undigestible food items like a dental crown may enter your large intestine in 12-24 hours, it could take a week, if not more, for it to reach the apex of your digestive system.

During the process of having your crown put, you may need to be patient because the possibilities of it passing through you smoothly are high. Keep in mind that the combined length of your small and big intestines is around 25 feet. 

What happened to the crown in the digestion process?

Because digestion takes a long time, your crown has likely become lodged in your upper digestive tract if you have only recently consumed it. Most of the time, it will stay there for roughly 12 hours, soaking up your stomach acid, before continuing down the digestive tract till it reaches its final destination through your intestines.

If you have a large amount of obstruction in your intestines, it may take several weeks to complete the treatment. The length of time depends on the condition of your intestines and the amount of obstruction you have. 

The most important thing to do is to get to an x-ray machine as soon as possible and have an x-ray of your intestines taken to discover exactly where the crown has been trapped in your intestines. Afterward, a medical professional can determine what has to be done, such as whether the crown is safe and will travel through the bowels without issue, or whether it needs to be surgically removed. Because it is quite rare for a crown to cause any issues, this is a situation that occurs frequently.

What are the possible consequences of ingesting crowns?

In addition to being acid-resistant, the materials used to make crowns will not erode in your body or emit toxic byproducts while in your mouth. Since the crown is not edible, you should be able to pass it without trouble as long as it does not rest somewhere in your intestines or create a cyst around it. All that remains is for you to do now is wait patiently till you hear the enchanted “clink” of a toilet bowl one day unless your dentist advises differently.

Does a laxative help your food flow more quickly through your system?

No, you should not do so as a general rule, and you should not do so unless specifically instructed to do so by your doctor or dentist.

It is believed that taking a laxative or purgative will cause an increase in peristaltic contractions to occur. In addition, due to the increased motion, the swallowed object has a greater probability of causing an intestinal perforation than it would otherwise (damage to the intestinal wall).

The shape of the object has an impact on the level of perforation danger it poses. In the instance of dental restorations that have been eaten, the procedure is as follows:

Please keep in mind that dental crowns, despite their aesthetic appearance, have sharp edges.

Some crowns have posts that are attached to them. Because of this coupled, slightly pointed design, it would be significantly more dangerous.

Isn’t it critical to understand where the crown is located?

In a report written by Glen, we couldn’t help but note a statement that said, “A patient who has eaten a crown would not be expected to require any intervention.” The exception appears to be things like crowns that have been unequivocally detected (by x-ray examination) as being in the person’s stomach or further along in their digestive tract.

A dentist may consider that determining the placement of your crown via radiographic examination is vital before designing any sort of treatment plan in response to the event, at least in the beginning.

An oral surgeon may recommend that the restoration be examined with x-rays until it has traveled through the digestive system, even after that initial confirmation.

It is possible to recover dental crowns that have been swallowed and passed through the digestive system.

Make an appointment with your primary care physician to talk about the situation more in-depth. As nondigestible foods must pass through the digestive system before being evacuated, he may want to have an X-ray done to assess the crown’s journey and to provide appropriate transit time.

With this one, you can begin collecting the contents of your bowel movements. It is not an option to risk eating a strong dental crown that will be expensive to replace if it does not pass through your system in less than 12 hours, although it is unlikely.

Use two disposable plastic knives to remove each bowel movement, crushing and cutting it as you go, being careful not to leave any huge chunks where the crown could be lurking.

The crown should be identified and washed in a bleach solution after it has been fully cleansed. Gently scrape away any remaining debris from both the outside and interior of the crown with an old toothbrush after it has been thoroughly cleaned.

Make an appointment with your dentist if you want to have the crown ingested. During your appointment, your dentist will apply new glue to the crown, which will then be cleaned by him or herself.

Conclusion

In this short article, we provided an answer to the question “How long does it take to pass a dental crown after swallowing?” and the information on handling this situation carefully.

Reference

https://www.leaf.tv/articles/how-to-recover-a-swallowed-dental-crown/
https://dentalimplant-abroad.co.uk/news/what-to-do-with-a-swallowed-dental-crown.html

What was missing from this post which could have made it better?

Leave a Comment