In this brief blog we will address the query,”How long does it take for potatoes to boil?” We will explain how to boil potatoes and what type of potatoes are good for boiling. We will answer if we should peel potatoes before boiling. We will also discuss some ways that you can use boiled potatoes.
How long does it take for potatoes to boil?
Cubed potatoes usually take about 15 minutes to boil whereas whole potatoes take about 20 to 25 minutes to boil. To check if the potatoes are done boiling, you can pierce them with the tip of a knife so as to be able to gauge how much resistance there is. If the tip of the knife easily goes in, then they are done, if you find resistance you should give them more time.
How do you boil potatoes?
- You should first clean the potatoes by scrubbing them under running water in order to remove any dirt and foreign particles.
- Then take the potatoes and place them in a medium to large pot which can hold them plus the water.
- Pour in water and cover the potatoes with one inch (2.5 cm) of cold water. You can add some salt so as to infuse some flavor (this is optional)
- Place the pot on a stove that is set on High heat and bring to a boil
- Boil for about 12 to 30 minutes.
- Remove the potatoes and place on a plate to allow them to cool for about 5 to 10 minutes before you use them.
What types of potatoes are best for boiling?
Many types of potatoes can be boiled however some usually take on a better texture while others are suited for other types of recipes. Some of the best potatoes to boil are as below:
These are starchy potatoes such as Idahos, Purple potatoes, Russets and sweet potatoes. Baking potatoes are suitable for boiling because they tend to have a floury texture that is easy to disintegrate and they are therefore suitable for use as mashed potatoes.
All purpose potatoes
This category comprises potatoes with medium levels of starch such as Red gold and Yukon gold and they tend to maintain and hold their shape without disintegrating. They are useful for use in recipes such as potato salads, casseroles and soups. They tend to have flesh that is yellow.
Waxy potatoes have low levels of starch and some examples are Round white and Round Red also referred to as Red bliss and Fingerling. All these potatoes are ideal for boiling as they tend to retain their shape without disintegrating.
They are suitable for use in soups, salads, casseroles among others. Waxy potatoes usually have flesh that is white.
When you are shopping around for potatoes that are good for boiling, ensure that:
- You look and pick firm potatoes that have a smooth skin without sprouts. If you notice potatoes that are soft and also have dark spots then it means that they are old and therefore you should avoid using them.
- You should also ensure that you select potatoes that are of the same size so that they take the same amount of time to cook.
Should you peel potatoes before boiling?
No, it is not recommended to peel potatoes before boiling them. This is because potatoes that have the skin on tend to absorb less amounts of water while they are being boiled. This enables them to preserve the starch in them.
If you do not like consuming potatoes with the skin on, you can simply peel the skin off after boiling the potatoes. Ensure that you let the boiled potatoes cool off before peeling them to avoid any injuries.
What are some ways that you can use boiled potatoes?
Boiled potatoes are versatile and can be used in a no. of ways. You can consume boiled potatoes whole with some butter and fresh herbs. Boiled potatoes can also be used in the making of mashed potatoes as well as a potato salad or potato casserole.
Boiled potatoes can also be used as mashed potato balls and can also be used to make potato pancakes.
You can learn a recipe of boiled potatoes with butter by clicking here.
In this brief blog we have addressed the query,”How long does it take for potatoes to boil?” We have explained how to boil potatoes and what type of potatoes are good for boiling. We have answered if we should peel potatoes before boiling. We have also discussed some ways that you can use boiled potatoes.