In this brief guide, we will answer the query, “How long do probiotics take to work?” We will also discuss the working mechanism of probiotics, the reason probiotics may not work sometimes, and tips for effective use of probiotics.
How long do probiotics take to work?
Probiotics take at least 2 to 3 weeks or longer for some individuals to work. In other words, you will only start to take a notice of the beneficial effects of probiotics after taking them for a minimum of 2 to 3 weeks in general. If you’re expecting to see the change after just a day or two, you will be proved wrong.
Just like every good thing takes time, you will eventually see the positive change if you keep taking them regularly. Probiotics slowly show their effects by increasing the number of healthy bacteria, decreasing the number of bad bacteria, and reducing inflammation.
So you don’t have you worry if you haven’t noticed any positive changes in your body even after taking probiotics regularly, because that’s just the way probiotics work. It is important to understand how probiotics work to get a gist of whether it is working for you or not.
How do probiotics work?
Probiotics work by increasing the number of healthy bacteria, decreasing the number of bad bacteria, and reducing inflammation while improving the digestive functions of the body. By consuming probiotics, you are increasing the number of good bacteria and reducing the number of dangerous bacteria and pathogens by using antimicrobial agents which help to rebalance the gut microbiome.
Furthermore, probiotics help to “push out” bad bacteria that are already present in your gut. They create antimicrobial substances that can help remove dangerous bacteria and replace them with good ones.
Probiotics also reduce the number of lipopolysaccharides, which is a harmful chemicals on the outer membrane of pathogenic bacteria in the gut and throughout the body. This helps to reduce inflammation.
It takes time to add enough healthy bacteria to your gut to outnumber the bad bacteria and is certainly not an easy process. To successfully replace the bad bacteria with good ones, antimicrobial action must be constant throughout the entire process. Likewise, reducing inflammation also takes its own time as the number of lipopolysaccharides in the stomach will need time to decrease.
Why do probiotics not work sometimes?
Probiotics may not work sometimes or for some individuals because the way a probiotic work is different for every individual depending on their gene makeup, age, health, bacteria present in the body, and diet. Some other reasons why your probiotics are not working are:
- You are not taking enough doses of probiotics. Too less probiotics will not show any effect on your gut. For treating gastrointestinal problems, a dose of 5 billion CFUs or greater was proven to be more beneficial than smaller levels.
- You’re not taking it the way you should. Probiotics are known to be the most effective when they are taken on an empty stomach or at least 30 minutes before a meal. It is better to read the label and follow the product guidelines before use.
- You are consuming the wrong strain of probiotics. Not all strains are effective for every condition. It is important to find the best match for you by consulting medical personnel.
- Using low-quality probiotics may not work the same as high-quality probiotics. Probiotics can be very fragile, so you may find it challenging to utilize them properly. To be effective in your intestines, they must survive the production, storage, and stomach acid processes.
- Badly stored probiotics may not work properly. Probiotics can be harmed by humidity, heat, and light. Some may even require refrigeration.
What are the tips to use probiotics effectively?
You must follow certain guidelines and be cautious of certain factors while taking probiotics to ensure that they work effectively. Some of the tips to use probiotics effectively are:
- Always read the label before you take your probiotics as different brands may have different guidelines.
- Always choose good quality probiotics with live cultures by researching properly. The probiotic must be able to colonize your gut after passing through stomach acid and bile.
- Watch out for the ingredients used in probiotics that may have any reactions on your body.
- Always store your probiotics properly by reading the label and following the storage ways mentioned in the label.
In this brief guide, we have answered the query, “How long do probiotics take to work?” We have also discussed the working mechanism of probiotics, the reason probiotics may not work sometimes, and tips for effective use of probiotics.