In this brief article, we will answer the question, “How long can you deep-fry chicken thighs?” and provide information on how to deep-fry them, tips to cook them, which oil can be used for frying as well as how to store them.
How long can you deep-fry chicken thighs?
Chicken thighs can be deep-fried for 25-30 minutes. Deep-frying the chicken would require a temperature of around 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Boneless chicken thighs have to be deep-fried for 15 minutes. On the other hand, chicken thigh containing bones would require more time and need to be fried for 25 minutes.
Check the internal temperature of the chicken to see whether it is cooked thoroughly. It should be around 165 degrees Fahrenheit. You can use the thermometer to check the internal temperature.
How to deep-fry chicken thighs?
You can follow the given steps to deep-fry chicken thighs:
- In a bowl, add 1 tbsp paprika, 2 tsp garlic powder, 2 tsp onion powder, 1 tsp black pepper, and salt. Mix them well.
- Add 3-4 pieces of chicken thighs to this bowl. Rub the seasonings onto the chicken thighs and mix them well.
- You can place the marinated chicken pieces inside the fridge for 2-12 hours. This is an optional step but it would help in improving the flavor of the chicken. The chicken would end up absorbing the seasonings.
- After the chicken has been marinated, keep a deep pot on the stove. Add oil to the pot and allow the oil to reach a temperature of 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Once the oil has reached that temperature, start adding the chicken pieces to them. You can fry the chicken thighs till they are golden brown in color. The chicken thighs should be crispy on the outside but softer on the inside.
- Once the chicken thighs have been cooked, remove them from the oil and keep them on a paper towel to drain excess oil.
- Allow the chicken pieces to cool for a few minutes before serving them on plates.
What are some tips to cook chicken thighs?
Some tips to cook chicken thighs are as follows:
- If the chicken thighs are boneless, the cooking time would reduce to just 10 minutes. You can marinate the chicken thighs and fry them in oil after breading them.
- Make sure to be careful while dealing with hot oil. Place chicken thighs closer to the hot oil. Do not drop them from the top as oil is likely to splatter.
- Do not fry the chicken thighs at a higher temperature. This can cause them to be undercooked. The chicken thighs might appear to be cooked from the outside but they would remain undercooked from the inside.
- Do not overcrowd the deep pot with chicken thighs. This can cause them to be undercooked as well.
- Place the fried chicken thighs on top of a paper towel or kitchen towel to absorb excess oil.
- If you want the chicken thighs to be spicier, add more pepper to them.
- You can use a deep pan or chip pan with slotted baskets to fry instead of a deep pot too.
- Do not reuse oils more than 3 times. This is because there can be a formation of trans fats in oil with each use.
Which oil can you use for frying?
Use healthier oils for frying. Some healthier oils include canola oil, rice bran oil, and groundnut oil. Apart from the given oils, you can use sunflower oil or safflower oil. Do not use olive oil as they have a very low smoke point. Oils with a low smoke point are likely to splatter.
How can you store chicken thighs?
Cooked chicken thighs need to be cooled properly before being kept in the fridge. You can keep them inside a sealed bag or even an airtight container.
If you keep the chicken thighs in the fridge, finish them within 2-3 days. You can label them with the date of storage.
Keep them on the backside of the fridge as it is cooler. If you are planning to store the chicken thighs in the freezer, you can keep them in freezer bags or freezer-safe containers.
Ensure that the freezer is not crowded. Label the freezer bag and freezer container before placing them inside the freezer. The chicken thighs would last approximately 6 months. When you wish to eat them, thaw them inside the fridge.
You can then reheat the chicken thighs in an oven, stove, or microwave. For the microwave, a microwave-safe container is required for reheating.
In this brief article, we have answered the question, “How long can you deep-fry chicken thighs?” and provided information on how to deep-fry them, tips to cook them, which oil can be used for frying as well as how to store them.