In this brief article, we will answer the question, “How do you make Periwinkle with food coloring?” and provide information on whether Periwinkle is blue or purple, how to make Periwinkle with purple color, some tips on mixing colors for icing as well as types of Periwinkle.
How do you make Periwinkle with food coloring?
Periwinkle with food coloring can be made by mixing lavender purple and light blue. Room lighting can affect the mixing of colors. As a result, you can apply paint to a small slice of food to check whether it is Periwinkle.
You can also use a color wheel to compare and check Periwinkle. Periwinkle is darker than purple.
What are the uses of food colorings?
Food colorings are used to make food appear more attractive. It can be added to candies, wine, marzipan, cakes, icing, cookie dough, children’s cereals, macarons, etc. It can be added to further enhance the natural colors of food too.
Sometimes, food colorings can be added to mask certain defects in foods. For instance, if there are cracks or discoloration in food items, the addition of food coloring over them can help hide this defect. Food colorings can be either natural or artificial.
Is Periwinkle blue or purple?
Periwinkle looks like a combination of both blue and purple. It leans more towards lavender. However, Periwinkle can still be referred to as periwinkle blue in spite of it looking like a mix of purple and blue.
If you are confused about mixing periwinkles, you can go with premade periwinkle mixes that are available in the market or online stores.
How to make a Periwinkle color without purple?
If you do not have a purple color with you, mix red and white first to create a light pink color. The pink can be then mixed with blue. This will give it a purple shade.
If you want the purple to be lighter, you can mix blue with white and then mix them with the pink color you created. Do not mix gray or violet as it can darken the color and it would no longer be the exact periwinkle.
What are some tips on mixing colors for icing?
- Start by mixing small amounts of color if you have never mixed before. If you are using icing colors, you need to be more colorful as they are highly concentrated.
- If you are mixing icing colors, mix 1 part of Royal Blue and 1 part of violet to obtain Periwinkle.
- If you want to prepare icing for cakes, use gel-based colors. This is because gel-based colorings give you an exact shade of periwinkle as they are more concentrated. Liquid colorings may not give you an exact shade of periwinkle.
You can add a little bit of water to dilute colors if it is gel-based. This will not drastically change the shade.
- If you are using buttercream icing for coloring, do not keep them exposed to room temperature for a long time as they have a tendency to darken.
- Use toothpicks for mixing colors.
- Do not use excessive red color to create periwinkle as this can modify the taste of your icing.
What are the types of Periwinkle?
There are many types of Periwinkle shades. Some of them include Periwinkle, Dark Periwinkle, Deep Periwinkle, Light Periwinkle, Periwinkle gray, Dull Periwinkle, and Periwinkle Tint.
Which colors can go well with Periwinkle?
White is a neutral color that can go with any color including Periwinkle. Yellow can go with Periwinkle too. Mint green, gray, cream, brown, blue, and greige are some other colors that can compliment Periwinkle.
What are some Periwinkle color brands that you can buy?
- DecoPac Periwinkle food color can help in making your food more bright and beautiful. These food colors are easy to store and use.
It is highly concentrated too. So be careful with mixing them as small amounts can be enough to bring color to food items.
- Wilton color dust can help give an amazing finish to fondants. Wilton offers a variety of Periwinkle shades.
- Americolor Periwinkle gel paste can stand extreme temperatures. You can add them to foods and keep them in the freezer. The color would still remain the same.
You can add this gel paste to cookie dough, icing, fondants, marzipans, and macarons. Squeeze the bottle to bring out the color and mix them till you get the required color.
In this brief article, we have answered the question, “How do you make Periwinkle with food coloring?” and provided information on whether Periwinkle is blue or purple, how to make Periwinkle with purple color, some tips on mixing colors for icing as well as types of Periwinkle.