This brief article will answer the question of what foods to eat when on a calorie deficit. We will also explore their nutrient composition and the benefits they are associated with.
What are the foods to eat on a calorie deficit?
These foods can be classified into four classes. That is carbohydrates, proteins, fruits, and quick snacks. Eating high calorie content foods may cause one to gain weight and lead to health disorders. Though it is recommended for patients who are undergoing cancer treatment and other conditions such as HIV AIDS.
These are foods that are made up of complex sugars and are packed with starch. They are also a good source of dietary fiber. Dietary fiber helps in bowel movement and helps avoid constipation.
Some of the carbohydrate foods include:
- Sweet potatoes. These are dicotyledons that are rich in taste and sweet in taste. They are tubers. They have a high-calorie content of 258kcal. They are also rich in other nutrients such as proteins, niacin, and potassium. They are beneficial as they contain complex starch which improves the body’s metabolic activities.
- Brown rice. This is a variation of white rice. They are rich in dietary fiber. They contain large amounts of calories ranging from 300kcal. It can also be served with other dishes. It is also used on hospitalized patients to provide them with enough energy.
- Quinoa. This is a seed that is prepared as a cereal hence called a pseudocereal. It lacks gluten. It is rich in carbohydrates making up 75% of the dietary value. It also has lots of minerals and vitamins.
- Oats. Oats are rich in carbohydrates that contain up to 70% of the diet value. They also contain large amounts of oat beta-glucan fiber. They are served for breakfast as quick snacks that are taken with milk.
These foods are the most reliable sources of calories. They also provide the body with essential amino acids and proteins that help in body repair. Some of them occur naturally and can be eaten raw, for example nuts.
Some of these foods include:
- Nuts. These are the fruit bodies of most trees. Some of them include macadamia nuts, groundnuts, peanuts, hazelnuts, walnuts, almonds, cashew nuts, and Marcona almonds. They are rich in fats and are used in making oils.
They are also used in making jelly such as peanut butter. They are quick snacks and can be eaten raw. They also do not promote weight gain.
- Meat. Meat can be served at large stores and also be availed easily if one is a livestock farmer. Some of the recommended parts for consumption are chicken breast, fatty meat, rabbits, pork, and mutton. The meat eaten should be well inspected and bought from an authorized dealer.
- Fish. Fish is a good source of omega fats and oils. This promotes their calorie content to an average of 350kcal. Edible fish such as the herring, tilapia, sardines, and trout. They are a fast source of calories and proteins.
Fruits are readily available. They also provide a source of calories. They may not contain less calories. They are rich in antioxidants and vitamins. Some of these fruits include:
- Avocados. These are fatty fruits that grow in tropical regions. They can be eaten raw and also as processed foods. They are rich in omega-3 fats. Their calorie content ranges between 300-350kcal.
- Apples. Apples are starchy and also contain high-calorie content. They contain 52% dietary value calories. They are found in stores and supermarkets. They have a long shelf life if the skin is not injured.
- Bananas. They are rich in potassium and iron. They contain 105kcal. They can be used in puddings, and salads and can also be mashed together with potatoes or any other meals.
These are ready-made snacks. They have a high-calorie content as most combine 1 or more ingredients with high-calorie content. They include:
- Chocolate bars
- Peanut butter
- Greek yogurt
- Protein powder
This brief article has answered the question of what foods to eat when on a calorie deficit. We have also explored their nutrient composition and the benefits they are associated with.