In this brief article, we will answer the question, “Does lemon help with nausea?” and provide information on the causes of nausea, how to incorporate lemon into your diet as well as some benefits of lemon.
Does lemon help with nausea?
Yes, lemon can help with nausea. Lemons can soothe your stomach. Lemons can neutralize acids present in your stomach. It contains bicarbonates that can stimulate the production of saliva and help reduce acids in the stomach.
What are some causes of nausea?
- Sickness can be a major cause of nausea. In cases of mild flu, lemons can help in relieving you. The citric acid present in lemons can help in relieving nausea.
- Pregnancy can be another cause of nausea. After 6 weeks, the majority of women do experience morning sickness. In such cases, smelling lemon can help to decrease the feeling of nausea.
In a study, a set of women were asked to smell lemon oil whereas another set of women was asked to smell almond oil. Women who smelt lemon oil experienced a reduction in nausea.
Consuming lemon in the form of candies, drinks, or other forms was seen to relieve nausea. It can help in dealing with morning sickness too.
- Chemotherapy is another cause of nausea. Even if chemotherapy patients take medications, there can still be a feeling of nausea experienced. Sucking on lemon candies or sour candies was seen to relieve nausea.
- Nausea can be observed after an individual undergoes surgery. Post-surgery, the body can feel fatigued and tired. This can result in nausea. Lemons can reduce the risk of developing nausea after surgery.
- The body can be vulnerable to nausea when you are traveling. This can especially happen if you are going by boat ride, car, or plane ride. Sucking on lemon candies can soothe your stomach.
How can you incorporate lemon into your diet?
You can consume lemonade to combat nausea. The addition of ginger in lemonade can further improve anti-nausea effects. Rinsing your mouth with lemonade can also create a sourness in the mouth that can reduce nausea.
Lemon water can be another drink that can be consumed. Do not use carbonated water for preparing lemon water. Use simple water instead. You can consume them in warm or cold form.
Lemon candies can be beneficial in combating nausea too. You might not get the natural benefits of consuming lemons but it can still relieve nausea.
Smelling lemon essential oil or a slice of lemon can be beneficial especially if you are a pregnant woman.
What are some benefits of lemons?
Apart from having anti-nausea properties, lemon can have other benefits as well. These are as follows:
- Lemons are a good source of vitamin C. Vitamin C boosts immunity and protects against infections. Apart from this, vitamin C can have antioxidant properties. It can reduce inflammation and act against free radicals by neutralizing them.
- Vitamin C can aid in weight loss. Pectin fiber present in lemons can help make one feel full. However, to obtain pectin, lemons have to be added to your dish as a whole. Lemon juice would not have these benefits.
There are certain compounds present in lemon that can promote weight loss too. Lemon extracts might reduce weight.
- Lemons are cardioprotective. Consuming fruits or veggies high in vitamin C can reduce the risk of heart disease. This is because it contains vitamin C which can have anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.
Consuming lemon extract was seen to reduce LDL levels. Compounds present in lemon namely hesperidin and diosmin were seen to lower levels of nausea.
- Lemons can decrease the risk of kidney stones. The citric acid present in lemons can increase urine volume along with urine pH which can reduce the possibility of developing kidney stones.
Lemonade contains citric acid which can reduce the risk of developing kidney stones. However, more studies have to be conducted to check the effectiveness of lemons.
- Lemon can be effective against anemia too. Vitamin C present in lemons can promote the absorption of iron from plant-based foods.
Iron from heme (non-vegetarian foods) foods is absorbed easily but iron from non-heme (plant-based foods) cannot be absorbed easily. Pairing non-heme foods with foods containing vitamin C can help in promoting iron absorption.
- Lemons can reduce cancer risk. Citrus foods can reduce the risk of cancer but more studies have to be conducted to verify this claim.
However, many test-tube studies show lemon-based compounds reduce cancer risk. Naringenin present in lemons was seen to have anti-cancer benefits.
- Soluble fiber present in lemons can decrease blood sugar levels.
In this brief article, we have answered the question, “Does lemon help with nausea?” and provided information on the causes of nausea, how to incorporate lemon into your diet as well as some benefits of lemon.