In this brief article, we will answer the question, “Does Eggplant have protein?” and provide information on the benefits of Eggplants, their side effects, how to store them, how to prepare them, how to buy them as well as some Eggplant recipes.
Does Eggplant have protein?
Eggplant does not have much protein. A cup of Eggplant (82g) can contain only 0.8 grams of protein. It is an incomplete protein source.
As a result, you might want to pair Eggplant with other foods containing protein. You can pair Eggplant with pulses, grains, cheese, or any other foods high in protein to improve its nutritional content.
What are some benefits of consuming Eggplants?
- Eggplants are a good source of nutrients. It contains Manganese, Potassium, Folate, Vitamin C, and Vitamin K. Apart from this, it also contains niacin, magnesium, and copper.
- Eggplants contain high levels of antioxidants too. Antioxidants can help in reducing the damage caused by free radicals. It also aids in reducing inflammation.
Anthocyanins present in Eggplants are responsible for giving them a purplish color. In addition, Anthocyanins can reduce free radicals as well.
- Eggplants reduce the risk of heart disease. It can lower levels of LDL, triglycerides, and cholesterol. Besides in a study, it was observed that animals who were fed Eggplants had a reduced risk of developing heart attacks.
- Eggplants contain lesser calories and no fat. This makes it perfect to be consumed for individuals struggling with weight loss.
- Eggplants also contain fiber. Fiber can reduce blood pressure, cholesterol, and glucose levels. It can promote satiety which can prevent an individual from overeating.
- The polyphenols and fiber present in Eggplants can reduce blood sugar levels. It can cause slower absorption of blood sugar which prevents them from suddenly peaking.
- It can have anti-cancer properties. This is because it has Solasodine Rhamnosyl Glycosides (SRGs) which have been shown to cause cancer cells to die and stop expanding.
There have not been many studies conducted on the benefits of SRG but certain studies have linked SRG to a reduction in the severity of skin cancer.
What are some side effects of consuming Eggplants?
Some individuals might experience inflammation on consuming Eggplants though this is quite rare. Some suffer from Eggplant allergy. As a result, they might experience the development of rashes, itching, swelling of the throat, and reddening of eyes on consuming Eggplant.
How to store Eggplant?
Eggplant can be safely kept in the fridge. You can keep them in a sealed bag or container. This can remain in the fridge for 7-10 days.
Make sure to not cut the Eggplant unless you are ready to cook with them. Eggplant can be kept in a freezer bag and then stored inside the freezer. It will remain in the freezer for 6-12 months.
How can Eggplant be prepared?
Eggplant can be grilled, sauted, boiled, or baked. Some individuals like to keep the skin of the Eggplant on while it is cooked. Others remove the peel after or before cooking. You can use a knife or peeler to remove the Eggplant’s peel.
Some people add salt to the Eggplant. This can reduce the bitterness of the Eggplant. Besides, it can prevent the Eggplant from being soggy.
How to buy an Eggplant?
Check the skin and weight of the Eggplant before you buy them. Eggplant’s skin should not contain wrinkles. It should also be considerably heavy. There should not be any spots present on them.
What are some Eggplant recipes?
Some Eggplant recipes are given below:
- Eggplant Parmesan can be a cheesy and filling dish that can be prepared easily at home. Some recipes use yeast for preparing Eggplant parmesan.
- Eggplant gyros is a good sandwich that can be prepared using meat, pita bread, and tzatziki sauce. Eggplant can be served with tomatoes, parsley, hummus, and cucumbers as well in this recipe.
- Eggplant bacon can be a dish wherein Eggplant replaces bacon but has the crispness and flavor of bacon.
For preparing the Eggplant bacon, cut them into long slices. Season the Eggplant slices with salt. In another bowl, mix Worcestershire sauce, paprika, soy sauce, and maple syrup. Dip the Eggplants in the bowl and then add them to the pan containing oil.
Cook them for 4-5 minutes till the pieces become charred. Transfer them onto a plate covered with paper towels to drain excess oil.
- Coconut Eggplant gravy combines the nutty flavor of coconut milk with the deliciousness of Eggplant.
In this brief article, we have answered the question, “Does Eggplant have protein?” and provided information on the benefits of Eggplants, their side effects, how to store them, how to prepare them, how to buy them as well as some Eggplant recipes.