This dog blog will answer the major question, “Do dogs eat cats?” we will also talk about whether dogs can kill cats, why dogs kill cats, and how to prevent dogs from killing cats.
Do dogs eat cats?
Yes, dogs can eat cats. Domesticated dogs do not necessarily eat cats because they are well taken care of. It is the wild where the cats are more susceptible to an attack by a wild dog because in the wild, food is scarce and there is survival of the fittest.
Can dogs kill cats?
Yes, dogs can kill cats. It also depends upon the breed of the dogs. If you have a small breed dog like Shih Tzu it won’t dare to kill a cat. If you have a Rottweiler then it will surely kill the cat because of its strength, which is very scary for you and the other pets.
It also depends upon the temperament of the dog. Rottweilers are generally aggressive and they can chase down cats while on the other hand Shih Tzu are lap dogs and they usually do not kill cats.
It also depends upon the training you are giving your dog. If your dog has learned to be violent around cats, then it will surely kill the cats in the house. It will even harm the other pets in the house.
Why do dogs kill cats?
The main reason is the basic instinct of your dog. Dogs live to chase cats which is an inborn talent of your dog.
Dogs love to wag their tails when they are excited. Cats wag their tails when they are annoyed or irritated.
Dogs took this as a signal of excitement and started chasing the cat. It is very natural that when a big dog approaches the cat, the cat will run to save his life. This dog and cat chase do not last long as most dogs are active and have natural chasing ability.
When the cat started running, the dog started chasing. In this case, dogs usually caught cats. The cat becomes injured in this chase and sometimes he is killed in this chase by the dog.
Dogs take the running cats as chew toys and dogs usually rupture the chew toys in excitement, so the same happens to your cat. So it is very important that your dog is trained to avoid cats in the house.
Some dogs like to play rough so they can kill your cat on the spot when they catch them.
How can you save your cat from dogs?
This is the question most cat owners are asking. There are a few things you can do to save your cat in your house:
- Keep your cats indoors at night so that stray dogs do not find the opportunity to kill your cat.
- Use motion sensors and cameras in your yard so you can keep an eye on the yard in which your cat is playing.
- Fence your yard high enough so that no dog can jump it even the stronger and the taller ones.
- Use lemon and vinegar and sprinkle them around the yard so that no dogs can detect the smell of your cat. Dogs are usually attracted by the smell of the cat in your yard.
- Keep the garbage in the garbage can so no dogs are attracted by the garbage. Stray dogs look for food in the garbage can, so it is wise to keep the lid on the garbage can.
How to train your dog not to kill cats?
It is an important and difficult task when you bring home a stray dog. You can follow the below steps to train your dog, not to chase cats:
- Keep the dog and the cat separate initially in a place where they can see each other but couldn’t approach each other.
- The second step is to teach your dog basic commands like “No” and “leave it”.
- After that, slowly put aside the barriers between both of them.
- Use a leash initially, then if you are sure that your dog won’t chase your cat, remove the leash.
- Use positive reinforcement in the form of treats.
- Whenever your dog ignores the cat, give him a treat.
- Use the treat when you are outside in the house. It will train your dog not just inside but also outside the house in the streets.
It is easier to train those dogs that were brought up with the cats in the house. Dogs become aggressive due to many reasons. It is very important that you know about the triggering stimulus of your dog.
This dog article answered the question, “Do dogs eat cats?” we also discussed whether dogs can kill cats, why dogs kill cats, and how to prevent dogs from killing cats.