Can you get sick from eating bad cheese?

In this short article, we will provide an answer to the question “can you get sick from eating bad cheese?” and the ways to detect bad cheese.

 

Can you get sick from eating bad cheese?

 

Yes, you can get sick from eating bad cheese. If poor cheese contains bacteria such as Salmonella or Listeria, as well as E. coli or Brucella, eating it can result in food poisoning, which is characterized by a variety of symptoms such as vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, stomach discomfort, and elevated body temperature.

 

Diarrhea is a symptom that indicates the presence of an unwanted agent in the body. In other words, consuming poor cheese regularly will result in constipation.

 

The most prevalent sign of food poisoning following consumption of bacteria-filled cheese is abdominal pain. After consuming spoiled cheese, you may have cramping and soreness in your abdominal area.

 

If you consume cheese that has microbial growth on it, you will have nausea and vomiting as a result. This is your body’s natural protective reaction designed to flush out the potentially harmful chemical that has entered your system.

 

An elevated body temperature serves as a natural defense mechanism and an indication that something is amiss with your body. It can be brought on by consuming substandard cheese.

 

What is it about mold that makes it potentially hazardous?

 

Molds are available in a plethora of different forms and sizes. Even though the vast majority of them are ineffectual, a small number of them are capable of making you sick. A warning from the USDA states that exposure to certain molds may cause allergic reactions and exacerbate respiratory issues. Additionally, molds can produce “mycotoxins,” which are lethal substances that can cause you to become ill or even kill you if the right conditions are there for them to flourish.

 

When is it appropriate to discard bad cheese?

 

Hard cheeses, such as Parmesan, Colby, Swiss, and Cheddar, do not allow spores to spread very far from the surface of the cheese wheel. Because of this, the remaining portion of the product is likely safe to consume. Make a 1 inch (2.5 cm) incision around the mold and below it to keep it from crumbling.

 

Soft cheeses, such as those that are shredded, crumbled, or sliced, are incompatible with this approach.

 

The rapid disposal of moldy cheeses such as cream cheese, cottage cheese, or ricotta is recommended because the spores can spread swiftly and contaminate the entire batch if left untreated.

 

When it comes to cheese storage, what is the most secure method of doing so?

 

The USDA recommends that you clean the inside of your refrigerator regularly using baking soda dissolved in water or a bleach solution to eradicate any mold spores that may be present.

 

Additionally, once the cheese has been opened, the USDA suggests covering it in plastic wrap and not keeping it out of the fridge for more than two hours at a time after it has been wrapped. This Detwiler technique will help you take your cheese storage to the next level: after each use, replace the parchment or waxed paper in which the hard or soft cheese was wrapped with new parchment or waxed paper.

 

What are the methods for identifying bad cheese?

 

There are several methods for identifying bad cheese.

 

Several features can be used to distinguish bad cheese from good cheese. For an accurate assessment of whether or not your cheese is rotten, examine its appearance, smell, color, texture, and taste as well as the container in which it was packaged.

 

Appearance

 

If you notice mold on the cheese, particularly grey-green mold, it indicates that the cheese is of poor quality.

 

Color

 

Eat only when necessary; otherwise, cheese that has darkened in color is not good cheese to ingest.

 

Texture

 

It is time to toss out the cheese if you see that the edges have solidified or that the cheese has become crumbly.

 

Smell

 

Examine the cheese for an off-odor (such as the smell of sour milk, yeast, or ammonia) or something that does not smell like cheese at all to identify whether it has been ruined.

 

Packaging

 

To be on the safe side, avoid consuming cheese that appears to be swollen or bulging on the package.

 

Taste

 

If the cheese has passed all of the previous sensory tests, you can try a little piece of it. Cheese that has developed a sour milk flavor should be discarded since this signals that the cheese has gone bad and should be discarded.

 

Conclusion

 

In this short article, we provided an answer to the question “can you get sick from eating bad cheese?” and the ways to detect bad cheese.

 

Reference

 

https://www.eatright.org/homefoodsafety/safety-tips/food/how-to-determine-if-cheese-is-safe

https://kitchenicious.com/can-cheese-cause-food-poisoning-facts-causes-handling/

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/expert-answers/food-and-nutrition/faq-20058492

https://www.prevention.com/food-nutrition/healthy-eating/a20457021/how-bad-is-it-to-eat-cheese-with-mold-on-it/

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/moldy-cheese#safety

 

Leave a Comment