In this brief article, we will answer the question, “Can you drink water during Ramadan?” and provide information on why Muslims avoid consuming water and food during Ramadan, tips to keep yourself hydrated during Ramadan as well as foods or drinks that can replenish fluid levels.
Can you drink water during Ramadan?
No, during fasting daylight hours, water cannot be consumed during Ramadan. There is an exception to this rule.
Individuals who are not expected to fast like pregnant/ lactating women, children, elderly people, or individuals who suffer from chronic illnesses can drink water. Individuals who faint or are not mentally of a sound can avoid fasting too. Vomiting can make the fast void.
Why do Muslims avoid consuming water and food during Ramadan?
According to Islam, fasting can deepen the relationship between an individual and God. Also, fasting can help make a person more grateful for God and food. It can make Muslims empathetic towards people who cannot afford to consume food and water.
Iftar can help bring family and the entire community together. Besides, it can also help teach individuals self-discipline.
What are some tips to keep yourself hydrated during Ramadan?
- You can keep yourself hydrated by drinking plenty of water before the fast begins. Drink enough water before you go to sleep at night. In the evening, you can drink water after every hour.
If you keep forgetting to drink water after or before your fast, you can keep a water bottle close to you.
You can also associate the consumption of water with your favorite activities (if you keep forgetting to drink). For instance, if you love watching TV, consume water every time a commercial arrives.
It is important to drink at least 3 liters of water. However, if you consume sugary drinks, you would need to drink more water. Caffeine-based drinks can promote dehydration, so try to limit your consumption of them.
- Wear looser clothes to prevent excess sweating. You can wear light-colored or whiter fabric.
Do not wear black clothes as they can attract heat and increase the risk of sweating. Wear a loose cotton garment.
- Cold showers can be another way to keep yourself hydrated especially if you cannot consume water.
Keep your head under the shower and remain there for 5-10 minutes. This can cool down your body. You can even rinse or brush your teeth as long as no water is swallowed.
If you are working, use a small wet towel and wipe them around visible areas of your body like the forehead, neck, or hands.
- Try to limit your consumption of sweets during iftar. This is because sweet and sugary foods can promote dehydration.
In such cases, you can increase your consumption of water. If you are craving something sweet, you can eat fruits instead. Fruits contain water and can help in hydrating you. Salads are another good option.
- Exercising can help get rid of toxins in your body but exercising can also facilitate dehydration through sweating. So, you can try to exercise 2-3 hours before iftar. Make sure to consume enough water before you go to sleep at night.
What are some foods or drinks that can replenish fluid levels?
- Coconut water can help in replenishing fluid and electrolyte levels. Loss of sodium and potassium can occur while you sweat. Consuming coconut water after your fast can help in replenishing them and prevent fatigue.
Make sure to consume unsweetened coconut water. If you experience nausea while consuming coconut water, use a straw and sip slowly on them.
- Broth or soups can also help in replenishing fluid and electrolyte levels. Soups prepared using animal protein can also provide collagen. Bone broth is a good source of potassium, phosphorus, and sodium.
- Melons like Cantaloupe and Watermelon are great sources of water. If you feel like vomiting, you can keep melons in the freezer and later suck on them after you have completed fasting.
- Smoothies are another way to rehydrate oneself. Do not consume excessively sugary smoothies. Instead, add milk, fruits, nuts, and yogurt. You can also add protein powders to amp up the protein quotient.
If you are experiencing gastric issues, try adding mint or ginger to them. A few ice cubes can be added to help make smoothies tastier.
- A simple glass of milk can help in replenishing fluid levels. Milk contains protein, fats, and calcium. Apart from this, it has potassium, magnesium, and a few amounts of sodium too. Milk can be replaced by unflavored yogurt too.
In this brief article, we have answered the question, “Can you drink water during Ramadan?” and provided information on why Muslims avoid consuming water and food during Ramadan, tips to keep yourself hydrated during Ramadan as well as foods or drinks that can replenish fluid levels.