This brief article will answer the questions: can I eat ice cream after wisdom tooth extraction, what are the repercussions of eating ice cream after tooth extraction, what is teeth extraction, what is ice cream, and what are the benefits of eating ice cream.
We will also explore what leads to teeth extraction, and how teeth extraction is done.
Can I eat ice cream after wisdom tooth extraction?
Yes, you can eat ice cream after wisdom teeth removal. Liquid/broth foods are the recommended treats for 24-48 hours after teeth removal. After some time, you can start eating solid foods. Solid foods may cause altercations on the teeth removal site.
Ice cream is cold and soft thus doesn’t pose a direct threat to the gums and also aids in soothing the swelling of the gum and bleeding.
What are the effects of eating ice cream after teeth removal?
The cold temperatures of ice cream cause constriction of blood vessels thus reducing the chances of the tooth extraction site opening. This helps in reducing swelling and inflammation, it also helps in preventing infections that may emerge from bleeding.
Ice cream is soft and cold. It doesn’t pose a threat of mechanical injury to the gums. As long as one doesn’t have sensitive teeth it is safe to consume.
What is tooth extraction?
This is the surgical removal of teeth from the dental alveolus/gum in the alveolar bone. It is also referred to as exodontia, exodontics, and teeth pulling. Teeth extraction is done to restore teeth alignment, in case of dental trauma, and in treating teeth infections also referred to as periodontal diseases.
How is tooth extraction conducted?
Teeth extraction is conducted in four steps. They are,
- Assessment and diagnosis. This is done by the dentist. It may include X-rays to see the deformation of the tooth or the placement of the tooth roots. This enables a clear diagnosis and conclusion if it’s necessary for the tooth to be pulled out.
- Consent from the patient. The doctor advises the patient on the situation and methods of treatment. This is essential as it pays regard to standard bioethics. If the patient agrees, he/she is prepped for the operation.
- Some of the prepping procedures involve giving local anesthetics to avoid inflicting much pain on the patient. This is done through infiltration where the anesthetic is injected directly into the gum. The injection is aimed at the nerve block as they are the sensors of body reaction and relay it to the brain.
- After the anesthetic procedure, the teeth are removed. It is done carefully to avoid more mechanical injury on the gum for quicker healing. The doctor also uses various tools such as forceps, luxator, and elevators to ensure smooth tooth removal.
- After that, the gum is dressed and the patient is ready to go. The patient is also advised on their diet to avoid undressing the wound by eating solid foods.
What conditions lead to tooth extraction?
Tooth extraction is done for medical purposes only. It may be brought around by,
- Tooth decay and infections.
- Gum disease.
- Treatment of symptomatic impacted wisdom teeth, which may cause cysts and pericoronitis.
- Removal of overgrown and supernumerary teeth.
- Fractured teeth.
- Teeth alignment.
What are the benefits of eating ice cream?
Ice cream is a good source of calories. If you are looking to increase your calorie intake you should consider ice cream. It contains an average of 275 kilocalories per 100 grams for each flavor of ice cream.
Ice cream is also loaded with minerals and vitamins that are essential in the body. Some of them include vitamin D, vitamin A, calcium, phosphorus, and antioxidants such as flavonoids found in chocolate.
They are a good source of energy as they have a high-calorie content and sugar. It also helps in stimulating the brain. This is through the rebalancing of neurotransmitters such as dopamine which is controlled by pleasure and eating.
This brief article has answered the questions: can I eat ice cream after wisdom tooth extraction, what are the repercussions of eating ice cream after tooth extraction, what is teeth extraction, what is ice cream, and what are the benefits of eating ice cream.
We have also explored what leads to teeth extraction, and how teeth extraction is done.