In this article we are going to answer can guinea pigs eat strawberry tops, what are guinea pigs, are whole strawberries with tops healthy, how often can guinea pigs eat strawberries, what a guinea pig should eat, what should a guinea pig not eat and how to take general care of a guinea pig.
Can guinea pigs eat strawberry tops?
Yes, guinea pigs can eat strawberry tops. Strawberry tops are better than whole strawberries because they contain less sugar than whole fruit. Strawberry tops contain about 5% of the whole sugar of the fruit.
Are whole strawberries with tops healthy?
Yes, strawberries are very healthy to eat especially when eaten with the top and leaves. Strawberries’ top and leaves have a very high amount of vitamin C, iron, and calcium and also contain a high amount of tannins.
Strawberries tops have been proven to ease gastrointestinal discomfort and joint pain. They can be a very healthy food for your guinea pig, especially because they need a higher amount of vitamin C than other animals.
If you don’t want to give them the whole fruit, you can set apart the top of the strawberries instead of throwing them in the trash when you eat them and add them to your guinea pig food.
How often can guinea pigs eat strawberries?
Guinea pigs should not eat strawberries that often. They have a very sensitive digestive tract and sugar in fruits can make them feel bad.
Strawberries should be given in small amounts, 2 small strawberries, no more than twice per week. It is best to give them just the top of the strawberries rather than the whole fruit because of the sugar content.
What are guinea pigs?
Guinea pigs are a domesticated species of South American rodent that is a member of the Cavy Family. They are 20 to 40 centimeters in length and weigh 500 to 1500 grams. They vary in color and can be found in white, cream, tan, reddish, dark chocolate, black, or a combination of the aforementioned hues.
There are no wild guinea pigs; they are only domesticated. They have a lifespan of 5 to 6 years and are extremely energetic rodents, putting in up to 20 hours per day of activity. They are best kept in pairs because they are very gregarious and should not be kept alone.
Humans consume them as food in Ecuador, Peru, and Bolivia. They are also well-known internationally as laboratory animals used in research on anatomy, nutrition, genetics, toxicity, and other topics.
In the genus Cavia, there are five different species of guinea pigs. The 5 species include
- Brazilian Guinea Pig: it can be found in Colombia, Venezuela, and South to northern Argentina.
- Shiny Guinea Pig: it can be found in brazil
- Montane Guinea Pig: it can be found from Peru to Northern Chile and northwest Argentina
- Greater Guinea Pig: It can be found in southern Brazil and Uruguay
- Moleques do Sul Guinea Pig: it lives only on the island known as Moleques do Sul
What should a guinea pig eat?
Guinea pigs need a diet with a priority on vitamins and minerals including magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, vitamin A, vitamin D, and vitamin E, guinea pigs require a balanced diet. Dietary items for guinea pigs include
- Vitamin C-fortified commercial foods include pellets without seeds or additional dried fruits.
- Timothy hay
- Leafy greens: parsley, cilantro, lettuce (red and green), and lettuce
- Broccoli, green peppers, and red peppers can be consumed daily.
- Twice weekly servings of carrots, zucchini, tomatoes, and sweet potatoes are possible.
- You can give oranges, kiwis, bananas, strawberries, and other fruits two to three times per week.
What should a guinea pig not eat?
Because they have such a delicate digestive system, guinea pigs shouldn’t be fed anything that could choke them or be hazardous to them. The following foods shouldn’t be given to guinea pigs:
- Anything with caffeine, such as chocolate or coffee
- Crisp lettuce
- Corn grain
- Dairy goods
Additionally, since they could become ill, guinea pigs shouldn’t be fed with plants, flowers, or grass from your yard.
How to take general care of a guinea pig?
Except for their diet, guinea pigs don’t require much maintenance. If you opt to keep guinea pigs as pets, some necessary regular maintenance
- They don’t demand baths. They require occasional cleaning with a moist washcloth and unscented soap.
- The guinea pigs, especially those with long hair, should be brushed with a soft brush.
- Once every month, nails should be trimmed.
Follow this link for general guidelines on guinea pigs’ needs.
This article answered can guinea pigs eat strawberry tops, what are guinea pigs, are whole strawberries with tops healthy, how often can guinea pigs eat strawberries, what a guinea pig should eat, what should a guinea pig not eat, and how to take general care of a guinea pig.