In this article, we are going to answer: can guinea pigs eat rice, what are guinea pigs, what is the risk if guinea pigs eat rice, what guinea pigs eat, what can’t guinea pigs eat, and how to take care of your guinea pig correctly.
Can guinea pigs eat rice?
No, guinea pigs can’t eat rice. Guinea pigs should not be fed with cooked or uncooked rice because guinea pigs should not be fed with cooked food and uncooked rice is very hard to eat for guinea pigs.
What are guinea pigs?
Guinea pigs or also known as cavies. They are little rodents that are commonly kept as pets. They have rounded bodies, short legs, and no tail. They weigh about 500 to 1500 grams and measure about 20 to 40 cm. Guinea pigs can be white, cream, tan, reddish, chocolate brown, black, or a combined pattern of the colors mentioned before.
They can live about 5 to 6 years and are very active rodents that can be up to 20 hours per day. They are highly social and they should not be kept lonely, they are best kept in pairs.
They need a high fiber diet and need to be supplemented with Vitamin C because they lack an enzyme that synthesizes vitamin C.
In central America where they are from can be eaten as food and they are known internationally because they are used as laboratory animals for studies of anatomy, nutrition, genetics, toxicology, and other subjects.
There are five species of guinea pigs in the genus Cavia. The 5 species are
- Brazilian Guinea Pig: it can be found in Colombia, Venezuela, and South to northern Argentina.
- Shiny Guinea Pig: it can be found in brazil
- Montane Guinea Pig: it can be found from Peru to Northern Chile and northwest Argentina
- Greater Guinea Pig: It can be found in southern Brazil and Uruguay
- Moleques do Sul Guinea Pig: it lives only on the island known as Moleques do Sul
What is the risk if guinea pigs eat rice?
The main risks if guinea pigs eat rice include
- Weight gain because it will not give any nutritional value and have a lot of carbohydrates
- Vitamin C deficiency if given in large amounts
- Fiber deficiency
Guinea pigs should not be fed with any type of grain and should not be given any cooked food. Guinea pigs have a very sensitive digestive system and it is not prepared to digest carbohydrates or any type of sugar.
What do guinea pigs eat?
Guinea pigs need a diet balanced with more attention to vitamins and minerals such as magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, vitamin A, vitamin D, and vitamin E.
Guinea pigs should be fed with vegetables and high-quality pellets. They should also include treats and special snacks.
- Pellets with no seeds or added dried fruits.
- Timothy hay
- Fruits and vegetables such as
- Leafy greens: lettuce, red and green lettuce, cilantro, and parsley
- Red pepper, green pepper, and broccoli can be given daily
- Carrots, zucchini, tomato, and sweet potato can be given twice a week
- Kiwis, bananas, strawberries, and citrus can be given two to three times per week
- Vitamin C supplements
What can’t guinea pigs eat?
Guinea pigs should not eat any choking hazard and should not be fed with food that can be toxic to them because they have a very sensitive digestive system. Some foods that should not be fed to guinea pigs include
- Chocolate, coffee, or anything with caffeine
- Iceberg lettuce
- Corn kernels
- Dairy products
Guinea pigs should also not be fed with plants, flowers, or grass that is found in your yard because they can get sick.
How to take care correctly of your guinea pig?
Guinea pigs are animals that do not need a lot of care except for their diet. Guinea pigs need to be fed on schedule twice a day.
- Guinea pigs do not need baths
- Guinea pigs need to be brushed with a gentle brush
- They need to ingest 30-50 mg of vitamin C per day
- They need water bottles because they need a high amount of water
- They need to have a hiding place in their cage so they can relax
Follow this link for a complete guide on how to take care of guinea pigs.
This article answered: Can guinea pigs eat rice, what are guinea pigs, what is the risk if guinea pigs eat rice, what guinea pigs eat, what can’t guinea pigs eat, and how to take care of your guinea pig correctly.