In this brief discussion, we’ll answer the question “can dogs eat starburst? “ We will also discuss the ingredients of starburst as well as their harmful effects.
Can dogs eat starburst?
No, dogs cannot eat starburst. Starburst is packed with sugar and artificial ingredients that are harmful to dogs. These flavored candies are harmful to dogs in many ways. The high sugar content can cause unhealthy weight gain as well as stomach issues in dogs.
They also contain artificial sweeteners that are highly toxic for dogs. Dogs can suffer from uncomfortable symptoms of an upset stomach that greatly affects their quality of life. Therefore, starburst candies should not be given to dogs.
Can dogs eat sugar-free starburst candy?
No, dogs cannot eat sugar-free starburst candy. These candies contain artificial sweeteners such as xylitol which are highly toxic for dogs. Xylitol is an artificial sweetener that is often used in many food products.
Consumption of even small amounts of xylitol can result in serious health complications in dogs. Xylitol lowers the blood sugar levels in dogs which further results in many health issues. Therefore, sugar-free candies should be kept out of your dog’s reach.
What ingredients are found in starburst candy?
Starburst is a bite-sized flavored candy that comes in various fruity flavors. It is high in sugar and contains many natural and artificial ingredients. Some of these ingredients are harmful to dog health.
The ingredients include sugar, corn syrup, gelatin, palm oil, fruit extracts, modified cornstarch, artificial colors, and flavors as well as artificial preservatives. It is also available in sugar-free versions which contain xylitol.
Is starburst bad for dogs?
Yes, starburst is bad for dogs. It contains many ingredients that can highly deteriorate your dog’s health. Sugar, corn syrup, and oils are found in starburst candy. None of these ingredients are healthy or beneficial for dogs.
These ingredients can have very harmful long-term effects on dogs. Dogs can become more prone to diabetes, obesity, and heart diseases if they consume starburst candy frequently. Therefore, starburst candy should not be fed to dogs.
How is sugar in starburst bad for dogs?
Sugar in starburst candy is highly unhealthy for dogs. Sugar is not an essential part of a dog’s diet because dogs fulfill all of their energy needs from normal dog food. The addition of sugar to your dog’s diet can put them at risk of various health issues.
Sugar offers no nutritive value to dogs and causes stomach soreness, stomach inflammation, appetite loss, unhealthy weight gain, and dental issues in dogs. Sugar also makes dogs more prone to diabetes and obesity.
What are the harmful effects of feeding starbursts to dogs?
Starburst is extremely harmful to dogs and provides no nutritional benefits to them. Even small amounts can create many health issues in dogs. The harmful effects of starbursts include:
- Sugar in starburst can cause dental problems in dogs. These sticky candies can get stuck in your dog’s teeth making them more prone to tooth decay and infections.
- It can cause digestive issues and stomach cramps in dogs.
- These sugary candies are wrapped in paper which can cause choking in dogs. Dogs can suffer from breathing difficulties.
- Sugar-free starburst contains xylitol which can highly deteriorate your dog’s health due to its toxic effects.
What are the symptoms of xylitol poisoning?
Xylitol is an extremely toxic artificial sweetener often found in human foods. It is safe for human consumption but causes many health issues in dogs. Eating even small amounts of food containing xylitol can have serious effects. The symptoms include:
- Upset stomach
- Watery stools
- Nausea and vomiting
- Low blood glucose levels
- Weakness and lethargy
- Lack of coordination
- Dogs can also collapse and suffer from seizures in extreme cases.
What are the symptoms of choking in dogs?
If the wrapper of starburst gets lodged in your dog’s throat or the intestinal tract. He can suffer from uncomfortable symptoms that can further deteriorate their health. Your dog will require immediate medical care if he has any of the following symptoms:
- Rapid breathing
- Frequent episodes of vomiting
- Bloody stools
What to do if my dog accidentally eats starburst?
If your dog has eaten starburst candy. The first order of business would be to identify if the candy is sugar-free. If your dog has eaten sugar-free candy, take him to the vet as soon as possible. The vet will probably help you induce vomiting or provide your dog with essential care.
If the candy in question is the regular kind, you don’t need to worry too much. Just clean your dog’s teeth and observe him for the next 24 hours for stomach issues.
We answered the question “can dogs eat starburst? “ We also discussed the ingredients of starburst as well as their harmful effects.