Can dogs eat red velvet cake?

This dog blog will answer the major question, “Can dogs eat red velvet cake?” we will also discuss the bad effects of red velvet cake on your dog’s health, what factors can predict the severity of disease, and what you should do if your dog ate red velvet cake. 

Can dogs eat red velvet cake?

No, dogs cannot eat red velvet cake. Red velvet cake is not healthy for your dog to consume. It is because of its ingredients which are toxic for your dog. Chocolate, vanilla extract, and cocoa powder are toxic for your dog while the rest of the ingredients are unhealthy for your dog. 

What are the bad effects of red velvet cake on your dog’s health?

Following are the bad effects of red velvet cake for your dog:

Vanilla extract

Vanilla extract is not healthy for your dog to eat. Vanilla extract has 35% alcohol which is toxic for your dog. Alcohol is not properly processed in the body of your dog so alcohol can cause toxicity and liver problems in your dog. It can also increase the heart rate which can lead to a heart attack in your dog. 

Food coloring

The next thing is the color of the red velvet cake. If you are using natural colors then it is safe and healthy for your dog but if you are using artificial colors then it is not healthy and safe for your dog. 

Artificial color is not properly processed and digested by the body so it can lead to toxins building up in the body. These toxins can cause nervous signs in your dog. 

Sugar

The next dangerous ingredient is sugar which can cause obesity and diabetes in your dog. 

Obesity can lead to joint problems and heart diseases in your dog. The extra sugar that is consumed by your dog is converted into fats which are stored in the body. The fat content can cause an increase in the body weight and it puts pressure on the joints which lead to arthritis. 

Obesity can cause heart problems in your dog because the extra fat content can block the normal flow of the blood towards the heart. 

Chocolate

Some flavors of the red velvet cake have chocolate which is not healthy for your dog. Chocolate is toxic for your dog because it has theobromine, a compound that is not broken down by the body, that builds up in the body and causes toxicity. 

The major signs of toxicity are:

  • Seizures 
  • Incoordination 
  • Vomiting 
  • Lethargy
  • Weakness 
  • Dehydration 
  • Diarrhea
  • Loss of appetite
  • Pale mucous membrane 
  • Increased heat rate
  • Increased respiration rate

Wheat flour

Another ingredient in the red velvet cake is wheat flour which is also not healthy for your dog. Some dogs are gluten allergic. They cannot digest gluten that is present in the wheat flour. 

Following are the signs of allergic reaction in the body:

  • Increase heat rate
  • Increased respiration
  • Vomiting
  • Hives
  • Itching
  • Rashes
  • Sneezing
  • Coughing

Butter

Butter is not healthy for your dog because most dogs are lactose intolerant. They are not able to digest lactose which is the milk sugar and other dairy products. 

Dogs are weaned and after that they do not have enough lactase to digest the lactose in the milk that is why dogs are unable to digest butter. 

What factors decide the severity of the condition in dogs? 

Following are the factors which decide the severity of the condition in dogs:

Size of the dog

The first factor is the size of the dog. The bigger the dog, the less chance of toxicity in dogs. 

Amount of red velvet cake consumed

The more the cake is consumed, the less chance of survival for your dog. There is more chance of toxicity in your dog. 

Ingredients

The more toxic the ingredients in the red velvet cake, the more chance of your dog’s death. More toxic ingredients can cause severe toxicity in dogs. 

Vet treatment

The sooner the vet treats your dog, the better chances of survival of your dog. Quality treatment can save your dog from dangerous consequences. 

What can you do to save your dog from toxicity? 

The first thing you can do is to check the amount of red velvet cake your dog has consumed. If the dog has consumed more then you should take your dog to the vet. 

The next thing is to check the ingredients in the red velvet cake. If it has toxic ingredients in it, you should immediately take your dog to the vet. 

Conclusion

This dog article answered the most important question, “Can dogs eat red velvet cake?” we also covered the bad effects of red velvet cake on your dog’s health, what factors can predict the severity of disease, and what you should do if your dog ate red velvet cake. 

References

https://www.rover.com/blog/can-dog-eat-red-velvet-cake/#:~:text=No.,break%20down%20as%20we%20can.

https://www.smallscreennetwork.com/what-if-my-dog-ate-red-velvet-cake/

https://www.msdvetmanual.com/special-pet-topics/poisoning/general-treatment-of-poisoning

What was missing from this post which could have made it better?

Leave a Comment