Can dogs eat playdough?

This dog blog will answer the major question, “Can dogs eat playdough?” we will also discuss the major unhealthy effects of playdough on your dog’s health, what you can do if your dog ate playdough, and why your dog is interested in consuming playdough in your home.

Can dogs eat playdough?

No, dogs cannot eat playdough. Playdough is not a food for your dog rather it is a toy for your kids. It looks and smells similar to your dog’s food but it is not food for your dog. Moreover, playdough can cause salt poisoning in your dog if consumed in large amounts. You should devise ways to protect your dog from playdough toxicity.

What are the major unhealthy effects of playdough on your dog’s health?

Following are the major unhealthy effects of playdough on your dog’s health:

Stomach upset in dogs

The first thing is the stomach upset in your dog because it is not food for your dog to consume. The playdough remains undigested in the stomach of your dog and will cause stomach problems in your dog.

Following are the major clinical signs of stomach upset in your dog:

  • Decreased appetite
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Dehydration
  • Lethargy
  • Weakness
  • Abdominal pain
  • Fever

The only problem is dehydration which is dangerous as it can lead to hypovolemia and hypovolemic shock and the death of your dog.

Toxicity in your dog

The compound that is toxic in playdough is potassium tartrate which is also present in raisins and grapes. The exact mechanism of toxicity is still unknown but it is found that potassium tartrate is toxic for your dog. 

There may be other compounds in the grapes and the raisins which are toxic for your dog but it is still unknown to researchers.

Following are the major clinical signs of toxicity in your dog:

  • Seizures
  • Dehydration
  • Excessive salivation
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Decreased appetite
  • Lethargy
  • Weakness
  • Convulsions
  • Abdominal pain

Salt poisoning in your dog

The content that is in high amounts in the playdough of your kids is salt. Salt content is too high that it can lead to salt poisoning in your dog. Salt poisoning is diagnosed by the nervous signs in your dog.

Following are the major clinical signs of salt poisoning in your dog:

  • Seizures
  • Decreased appetite
  • Convulsions
  • Lethargy
  • Weakness
  • Excessive salivation
  • Dehydration

The excessive salt content outside the cells can draw the water outside the cells which can ultimately lead to dehydration in the cells. This is dangerous if it is not treated in time.

Kidney damage in your dog

Kidney damage is due to consuming high salt content. If your dog is consuming playdough for a very long period it might develop kidney problems.

If the pressure on the kidneys is increased due to the excessive salt filtration from the body then it could lead to kidney failure in your dog.

Following are the major clinical signs of kidney failure in your dog:

  • Decreased appetite
  • Kidney pain
  • Low urine output
  • Blood in urine
  • Increased BUN
  • Lethargy
  • Dehydration
  • Weakness

Why is your dog interested in consuming playdough?

Following are the reasons why dogs are interested in consuming playdough:

Smells like food for your dog

The playdough has water, salt, and flour which smells like food for your dog and that is why dogs are attracted to playdough.

Playdough has the ingredients of the food of your dog and you should be aware of it.

Easily available in homes

Playdough is the most common toy for your kid so it is available in your home quite often. It is very difficult for you to prevent your dog from eating it as most children leave it on the floor of your house.

Dogs are curious about playdough

Dogs love to explore their environment and they are curious about new things they found on the floor of the house. 

They first smell it and then taste it and sometimes they swallow it.

What can you do if your dog ate playdough?

You should separate your dog from the rest of the playdough. You should monitor your dog for any abnormal behavior for 24 hours.

Call your vet if you see any of the clinical signs in your dog. You should act according to the advice of your vet. If your vet advises you to bring your pet to the vet clinic, please do not hesitate to take your dog to the vet clinic so that your vet can treat your dog.

Conclusion

In this dog blog, we entertained our important question, “Can dogs eat playdough?” we also covered the major unhealthy effects of playdough on your dog’s health, what you can do if your dog ate playdough, and why your dog is interested in consuming playdough in your home.

References

https://www.vets-now.com/2017/07/dog-almost-dies-salt-dough-poisoning/#:~:text=While%20non%2Dtoxic%2C%20non%2D,to%20the%20high%20salt%20content.

Leave a Comment