Can dogs eat mold?

In this brief discussion, we will answer the question “Can dogs eat mold?” We will also talk about what happens if a dog eats mold and what to do in such a situation.

Can dogs eat mold?

No, dogs cannot eat mold. Each year, the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (APCC) deals with hundreds of cases of animal poisoning caused by medications, plants, and other swallowed objects. 

However, not all pet poisons are as obvious; in fact, one significant risk might be present on food, where you least expect it. The APCC wants to teach pet owners about the risks of eating moldy food so that you will be prepared with the knowledge that could save your life. 

Food mold is a fungus that develops on expired food and is also known by the name Penicillium spp. It is frequently visible to the unaided eye and, if consumed, can seriously harm a pet.

What happens when dogs eat mold?

While it’s important to keep mold off of dog food, the major risk comes from dogs getting into domestic trash or consuming garbage from the outside, such as moldy nuts or fruits that have fallen from trees or compost piles. 

Your canine companion could become seriously ill from fungus neurotoxins on stale food. Typical indicators that your dog has consumed mold include:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Muscle tremors
  • Seizures
  • High body temperature

Symptoms can last between 24 and 48 hours and, if untreated, can be fatal.

Is mold poisonous to dogs?

You should try to keep your pet from coming into contact with any moldy food because it can be quite dangerous for them to consume it.

Let’s look at the risks associated with moldy food, the signs of mycotoxin poisoning, and some tips for keeping your dog safe.

When we throw our food in the trash and it starts to mold, the mold starts to develop mycotoxins, which are extremely toxic compounds. Mycotoxins come in a variety of forms, but the most prevalent are tremorgenic mycotoxins, so called because when pets ingest them, they have tremors and seizures. 

Aflatoxin-type mycotoxins, which are less frequent, can damage and kill the liver cells in your dog. Mycotoxin poisoning can be lethal in extreme circumstances.

How to prevent dogs from eating mold?

Limiting their access is the best course of action. Try to empty your kitchen trash can on a regular basis, especially after you’ve discarded substantial amounts of food, such as a loaf of stale bread or a serving of pasta.

If your dog is especially curious, you might want to invest in a dog-proof trash can or even keep them out of the kitchen when you’re preparing food or doing dishes. In any event, it’s wise to keep a careful check on your pet and get in touch with your veterinarian if they begin to exhibit any symptoms.

Is moldy cheese harmful for dogs?

Moldy cheese can be extremely hazardous to your dog. Mold poisoning may be the cause of your dog’s apparent lack of energy or reluctance to eat. To make sure everything is okay, it is a good idea to keep an eye on them for 24 hours. 

Get them to a vet as soon as possible if they start to throw up or exhibit symptoms of uncontrollable diarrhea.

Can water mould make my dog sick?

The last thing you expect to make your dog ill is water mold. However, your dog could get very sick if they drink moldy standing water. Due to the fact that these molds cannot tolerate freezing conditions, this usually happens in the warm gulf states.

Pythiosis is the name given to this kind of mold toxicity. Lethargy, vomiting, bloody stools, and chronic diarrhea are some of the symptoms. Additionally, they could grow an abdominal bulk and drool excessively.

Sadly, this particular mold toxin has the potential to be lethal. Since it is tough to treat, quick action is crucial for the best result.

What to do if a dog has eaten mold?

You are given two choices. To start, call your veterinarian. After getting more information about the circumstance, they will advise you on your next steps. They could advise keeping an eye on them at home or bringing them in for a checkup.

Contacting the Pet Poison Helpline is the alternate choice. They offer a big database of potential toxins and are accessible around-the-clock. They will take into account details like the age and size of your dog.

They can then suggest a course of action. If they advise you to take your dog to the vet, they can collaborate with the doctor to develop and carry out the best course of action. Although there is a price for the service, it is much less expensive than an unnecessary trip to the veterinarian. 

Additionally, it is considerably less expensive than postponing treatment for your dog and allowing symptoms to worsen. It can also give you the information and assurance you require, which is more crucial.

Conclusion

We answered the question “Can dogs eat mold?” We also talked about what happens if a dog eats mold and what to do in such a situation.

References

https://www.aspca.org/news/animal-poison-control-alert-dangers-moldy-food

https://www.myfamilyvets.co.uk/mycotoxin-poisoning-in-dogs

What was missing from this post which could have made it better?

Leave a Comment